Looking for advice edges of carpet on rear aluminum deck

So I’ve searched and not been able to find answers to these 2 questions.
    1- what is the best approach to stop fraying on the edges on my rear deck when I recarpet. The deck wil be all riveted back together with no way to fold edges under. So I’m unsure how to stop fray or if people are covering it with some sort of moulding after redoing it.
    2- I’m trying to figure out how to carpet the drops and corners into where the center seats are, slightly below the deck height. I’m racking my brain about how to cut and seam it with 1 piece or if that’s even possible. The pic of the area I’m talking about is attached below. It has been cleaned and prepped but the pic is from earlier on in the process.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sometimes we hem carpet for people with seat vinyl or an edge type material to prevent the fraying. So you may be able to find a local upholstery shop to hem your carpet or some of these places may have a surging machine.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

3. Member
    Thanks for that advice will most likely use it in the future but thanks to my dad we got a timeline now and that isn’t gonna meet it.
    Last edited by Mj154; 05-20-2021 at 07:59 PM.

4. Member
    I was looking at options as well. something like this may work, just not sure... https://www.amazon.com/Trim-Lok-Guar...s%2C215&sr=8-7

OTherwise simple U channel trim is probably a safe option... https://www.amazon.com/Black-Channel...%2C215&sr=8-12

O that "well" area, the only way to cover it cleanly is to cut long... so the running length needs to be in excess and use the sides to cover the drop. You will have a seam in the inside corners though... I would partially glue the deck carpet down first up to the point of the drop.... Then carefully make an initial cut at the corner of the well, running length wise... Might be worth clamping a straight edge to the carpet, to make the cut... ?????

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smallie_Hawgin View Post
    I was looking at options as well. something like this may work, just not sure... https://www.amazon.com/Trim-Lok-Guar...s%2C215&sr=8-7

OTherwise simple U channel trim is probably a safe option... https://www.amazon.com/Black-Channel...%2C215&sr=8-12

O that "well" area, the only way to cover it cleanly is to cut long... so the running length needs to be in excess and use the sides to cover the drop. You will have a seam in the inside corners though... I would partially glue the deck carpet down first up to the point of the drop.... Then carefully make an initial cut at the corner of the well, running length wise... Might be worth clamping a straight edge to the carpet, to make the cut... ?????
    Was racking my brain around trying to do it without a seam but Your right it won’t be possible. There simply won’t be enough carpet to do it all out of 1 cut. My first carpet job so what I think I may do is the top deck and seat areas in 1 piece than seam around the live well and if my seam job is horrible I’ll get som 3/4-1/16” angle paint it and trim with that also I think I may do the same up top on the edges with flat aluminum if my edge work turns out to be trash. Not being able to tuck it is what has my amateur ass worried lol. Should hopefully be going for it this weekend. Clamping a straight edge to the carpet is a wonderful idea though But anymore advice is much appreciated.
    Last edited by Mj154; 05-20-2021 at 08:03 PM.
    1987 tracker TX17 full gut and rehab
    1975 Starcraft SS18 next in line for rehab

6. Member
    I had a guy call me, last year. He called every inept dealer in the Phoenix metro area. After a couple of photo's I told him I have what he needs, he could either drive up and get it or I could ship it to him. He saved .$.50 by buying it on line.
    2023 SCB 20EF
    2023 SCB CC 210LR

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott S. View Post
    I had a guy call me, last year. He called every inept dealer in the Phoenix metro area. After a couple of photo's I told him I have what he needs, he could either drive up and get it or I could ship it to him. He saved .$.50 by buying it on line.
    Not trying to be rude here man, but I really don’t understand what your trying to say here.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj154 View Post
    Was racking my brain around trying to do it without a seam but Your right it won’t be possible. There simply won’t be enough carpet to do it all out of 1 cut. My first carpet job so what I think I may do is the top deck and seat areas in 1 piece than seam around the live well and if my seam job is horrible I’ll get som 3/4-1/16” angle paint it and trim with that also I think I may do the same up top on the edges with flat aluminum if my edge work turns out to be trash. Not being able to tuck it is what has my amateur ass worried lol. Should hopefully be going for it this weekend. Clamping a straight edge to the carpet is a wonderful idea though But anymore advice is much appreciated.
    Sounds like a reasonable option to me... One tip I picked up from others on here... Less is more when it comes to the glue... Using a trowel, make the required pattern, you really don't need excessive glue to hold carpet. Ours came out awesome on the Project X19. I chose to do padding and 20 oz carpet on the front platform and just carpet on the rear. Very pleased with the results... But still trying to decide on the few un-protected edges.. At the stern right in front of the motor well and at the bow along the V area. We did new seats, trolling tray, rewiring as well... IT was a lot of work, but the end product fished well this past weekend...
    20210517_213244_HDR.jpg20210517_213211_HDR.jpg20210517_213148.jpg

9. Member
    Man I wish my boat was that wide. Maybe I’ll find a busted up mid earl 2000’s model someday. I used dap weldwood to put the carpet on the rear it turned out pretty decent. My seam work isn’t amazing but at least the only seams are by the seats. Finishing the front deck Thursday.
    Attached Images Attached Images