has anyone added a shock to the tackle storage lid on their boat?

My boat is a 2007 188vs and I'm thinking of adding a shock to the center compartment in the front (I think its classified as the tackle storage compartment).
    I had to redo the rivets on it, and I think something had been done before to re-secure the lid, and now I can tell if the lid tilted all the way back towards the bow on its own, it might bend or damage something. This is why I was thinking of adding a shock like the rod lockers have, to hold the lid in place. Has anyone done this on theirs?
    Wishin I Was Fishin...

2. Member
    My 2000 R83 has a shock on the center storage compartment. I had to replace it recently. If yours doesn't have one I would definitely look at adding one.

3. Member
    Yep. Plenty of times. Glue and screw your mount brackets. Sometimes if on thin fiberglass you can make a aluminum backer plate. Atwood gas springs, but there are others. 10” kinda normal

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KYRANGERMAN View Post
    My 2000 R83 has a shock on the center storage compartment. I had to replace it recently. If yours doesn't have one I would definitely look at adding one.
    Can you send me a picture of yours for reference?
    Wishin I Was Fishin...

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oprod View Post
    Yep. Plenty of times. Glue and screw your mount brackets. Sometimes if on thin fiberglass you can make a aluminum backer plate. Atwood gas springs, but there are others. 10” kinda normal
    Aluminium backer plate sounds like a good idea. Now I need to figure out where's the best place to put it.
    Wishin I Was Fishin...

6. Member
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....022&highlight=

Here you go, it was a pretty easy install.
    2019 Ranger Z 518 L
    200 Merc Pro XS 4 Stroke
    2016 Chaparral 246 SSI
    350 Mercruiser
    On new boat # 10

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassmada View Post
    Can you send me a picture of yours for reference?
    Here is a picture of how it is attached. The second one is the part number for the shock.

IMG-1216.jpg IMG-1217.jpg

I also installed a shock to my center lid. I went with a 20lb strut. I didn't want to stress the fiberglass. I also used a small dab of 4200 or silicone (cant remember) on the strut mounts to help out the screws. Still working good a few years later.

I also added the strut to the side. Here is a pic...Screenshot_20210516-204248_Gallery.jpg
    Last edited by cwilt; 05-16-2021 at 07:44 PM. Reason: Added a pic.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

9. Member
    REAR COMPARTMENT LID SHOCK INSTALL

This was a pretty easy install, following is all the parts ordered from Ranger which were priced competitively. They forgot the mounting screws but a call and they sent them. I used the nuts in the bag from ranger but I purchased the stainless steel screws and washers from Home Depot. They sent plenty of the wood screws but I preferred the nut and screw for mounting on the compartment side.

What was a great aid was using a clamp to hold the lid into position as I figured out where to mount the side bracket. I drilled a 3/16 hole for the side bracket and mounted it with the screw and nut.

Next was mounting the lid bracket which I drilled a 1/8 inch hole only drilling in about 1/8 of an inch as it felt like the drill bit hit an open area. Then I screwed the bracket to the lid using 3 of the screws and according to Ranger that is how they mount them as they told me there is no area on the lid that had any thicker fiberglass for mounting I was a bit scared as I thought the screws would go through into the carpet but Ranger was right and there is no screws sticking through the carpet.

Following is the finished product and I must give Ranger a big Thank You for guiding me with their advise. Also a photo of what I ordered from Ranger and if you are going to do this install have a good clamp on hand as it holds it in place much better then having a helper hold it as it may move but the clamp held solid.

Attached Thumbnails

2019 Ranger Z 518 L
    200 Merc Pro XS 4 Stroke
    2016 Chaparral 246 SSI
    350 Mercruiser
    On new boat # 10
    2019 Ranger Z 518 L
    200 Merc Pro XS 4 Stroke
    2016 Chaparral 246 SSI
    350 Mercruiser
    On new boat # 10