weldwood for boat carpet

would like opinions on the red can (lots of odors) or the green one(less odor & water clean up)? Or any other glues you have used, ideas for applying and any other tips, before I start this adventure.

thank you

2. Member
    Red, WTF is that? Blue and white for carpet, landau top and trim. They have some to use under rubber, that chit sprays like a cob web. Spraying is the only way to go, fast fast fast.

2023 SCB 20EF
    2023 SCB CC 210LR

3. Member
    Im doing my basscat right now and using 2 different glues. I used the weldwood red can to put down my padding. Im using Roberts carpet adhesive for carpet to padding and carpet to fiberglass.
    Also using the red can to do the edges and inside of lids, pretty much any place that isnt flat and I want it tacky right away.
    The red can stuff has a strong odor but Im working under a carport, so good ventilation. When I do the floor of the boat Ill be inside the garage and will use a respirator.

I had read a thread from a member here that did it this way, so Im just following his advice. Its also readily available to me at home depot if I run out.
    2002 BassCat Cougar

4. Member
    I used the red for everything. Got some cheap paint brushes to spread it and used some round dowels to keep it from touching places before I wanted it to. Once it touches, it's pretty much stuck.

5. Member
    I've used the green (Dap 00442 Weldwood all-weather) on a couple of boats. More forgiving when placing than contact adhesive, although I'd like to use contact for lid edges next time. The 00442 is mineral spirits clean up, not water.

6. Member
    I used the red all around. Used it to glue the padding down and then the carpet on top of padding. Put it down with paint brushes.

7. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Red 100 percent

8. Member
    after your done for the day and want to reuse the paint brush, wrap it in a plastic bag and put it in the freezer, the brush will not harden up and will be good to go the next day
    1998 Triton TR-20, 2017 Evinrude 150HO

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Mud View Post
    after your done for the day and want to reuse the paint brush, wrap it in a plastic bag and put it in the freezer, the brush will not harden up and will be good to go the next day
    Gonna try this if it works that’s gonna save a few bucks for sure

Red
    1997 Charger 186 TF
    1997 Yamaha ProV 175

11. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    When I did my carpet I used Weldwood and trowled it on the bigger areas and used 3M spray can Green for compartment edges and something I needed to get to stick quickly that I couldn't just let dry. Also a lot of clamps and wood trim to hold it down on edges of compartment and so on .Also get a carpet knife those are a great tool to work with
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

going to get the supplies tonight, i have a long list, so far it is going ok. getting all the old carpet backing and glue off is on the list for tomorrow, and cutting the carpet, then the gluing the next day, or sunday hope to be done by monday night. Ended up making slots behind the rivet to get the old ones out, but it went ok, and the new carpet will hide them mostly, and i can always fill that spot after the rest it done.

13. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    Keep us posted on the project and take your time to do it right...take some pics too
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

I will keep you posted, here are a couple so far, old carpet out, and doors off, seats out, seats were a pain, and the ceter one will have to go to the upholstery shop the boards are bad and they need some TLC. will post more over the weekend
    20210526_104814.jpg

Started a new thread with my re carpet job. Title is 374v recarpet

16. Member
    I’ve used a hot glue gun for the corners an the edges over the carpet glue an it worked really good