Question Jefferson County Regulations?

So no bass fishing until 3rd Saturday in June (not even catch and release) in Jefferson County. Do these regulations apply to all of Lake Ontario and the St. Lawrence river? I don’t bed fish or keep bass anywhere, was hoping for some prespawn fishing. This may be a stupid question but how does a body of water have borders from a county anyway. If your 30 miles off shore or 2 for that matter, what determines which county regulations would apply? Is it where you launch?

2. Member
    Yes they apply to all the St Lawrence River. Read up on the regulations a bit, on the River it’s very black and white.

for Lake Ontario, You can fish Lake Ontario and tributaries from Oswego county west to Buffalo., The start of it is the Jefferson county line. So you can fish Sandy and in front of Sandy and have no issues. But once you cross the Jefferson county line you’re in restricted waters. As far as I know, Jefferson, Essex, St lawrence, franklin, Hamilton county are the counties you can’t fish before the season opens. Talking with the Hamilton County DEC, if they see you catch a bass you have to make an effort to leave the area, meaning starting up the big motor and moving away from the area. If you’re fishing Lake Ontario and you are in front of Jefferson county land, you’re fishing Jefferson county water.

Basically just don’t fish the lake near Jefferson county or north. Fish Sandy or south and you’ll be fine. The more loopholes you try to look for or use to justify fishing in restricted waters the more likely the DEC will hand out a citation. Ignorance isn’t bliss. When in doubt call the DEC office up there and see what they say.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

3. Member
    Thanks Cobb, great info. So when you say Sandy you mean Sandy Pond in Oswego County right? Sorry, not to familiar with water south of Jefferson. Can you recommend a launch. Thanks

4. Member
    Ya sandy pond in Oswego county. There’s a private launch at Kyles Wigwam and green point Marina. The wigwam launch can be tricky since there’s not a whole lot of room to move Its a tight fit with my 18’ boat and a Dodge Durango, but I have seen larger boats and trucks use it.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ECobb91 View Post
    Ya sandy pond in Oswego county. There’s a private launch at Kyles Wigwam and green point Marina. The wigwam launch can be tricky since there’s not a whole lot of room to move Its a tight fit with my 18’ boat and a Dodge Durango, but I have seen larger boats and trucks use it.

The launch there too .. is back down 100ft. Off a tight road .. keep ur boat tied down till you get to the dock ..

plus there a DEC launch too.

http://visitoswegocounty.com/fishing...rch-25th-2021/

Mercury Pro Team

2017 Triton 20 TRX Patriot
    250 Opti Max Pro XS
    Twin 8' Power Pole Blades
    2 Solix 12 gen 3 , with mega 360