Prop question (being worked)

I’ll admit I do not know a lot about props. Even after owning a few boats over the last 20 years.

New to me boat. RPM’s are low compared to other like boats(5400). 2 shops say engine is fine. It does pull back a little at times but I’ve opened it up enough. Played with trim enough. To feel comfortable it doesn’t have 5600+ in it.
    I have a 25 Tempest that’s slower than a 25 Trophy that was on my last boat.

Question: Does a prop that’s modified to provide more lift automatically mean lesser rpm’s ? I guess I’m trying to find out if there is anything that can be done to a prop, besides upping the pitch, that would actually increase rpms? Or could it provide more lift which would reduce wetted surface allowing more rpms? Just asking if there is a hard and fast rule or does it depend on the situation? Hole shot is fine.

Just asking because I need to decide wether to send this one off to be worked or look for a lower pitch.
    Thanks
    Last edited by Judson1; 05-13-2021 at 05:19 PM.
    2013 Pantera 4
    2012 Opti 200 Pro XS
    25 Tempest

2. Member
    You might need to drop a pitch. Might be able to raise motor a little bit depending how high it is now and gain some rpm. Hard to compare different boats with different props. Sometime each boat has it's own setup it likes

You have a motor or setup problem assuming that prop is in good shape, you should be seeing 70 mph and at least 5700 rpm with that prop
    I am suspicious of a fuel starvation problem or dropping a cylinder
    All the basics need to be checked including fuel/air pressures on the water under load
    Thank You Leon Pugh

4. Member
    Thanks guys.
    It hasn’t hesitated not once this weekend. I’ve started trimming up at a faster clip once on plane. I’ve really been impressed with the acceleration compared to the last few months. But no real gain in rpms or speed.
    Ironically I hit 5400 today for the first time. And that was with both my wife and college daughter in with me. 5380 was the previous high. I may try and set up a mechanic for the fuel/air monitoring on the water during the summer. Then if it checks out I’ll send the prop off to be cleaned up or get another pitch depending on results. The first shop did basic testing and said nothing wrong and just a few minor codes. The last shop got the detailed problem. They said they even took it out and said it ran fine. But didn’t check pressures like I suggested. But they don’t know these boats and probably thought nothing of only 5400 with that prop. He said it was “within manufactured specs so it’s ok”. So two shop bills so far and haven’t gotten the hesitation problem corrected.
    2013 Pantera 4
    2012 Opti 200 Pro XS
    25 Tempest