Tempest plus on Cougar FTD ??

I know everyone talks about Furys and I have ran one on my 2004 Cougar FTD/225 Optimax but was wondering if anyone runs a Tempest? DO they provide better holeshot or better lift compared to the Fury?

I have ran the following -

25 Fury 3 thats overall ok holeshoot and good top end but needs more lift

26 Bravo1 XS - same holeshot as the fury 3...great mid range lift and handling - 4 MPH slower on top end than Fury 3 blade

25 Fury 4 blade - great holeshot solo (poor holeshot two guys loaded with gas and full wells as it stuggles to spin up to 3,000 RPM even with 8 vent holes open), good mid range lift and handling - same top end as fury 3

wondering if a Tempest plus would give me any different results than what I am seeing?

I am thinking I need a CB foil to aid hole shot and just be happy with the fury 3 blade?
    "Any pizza is a personal pizza if you believe in yourself"

You need Ronnie Gilbert to rework the 25 Fury 3. The best prop for that boat (337 380 1437 )
    Remove all pvs plugs
    Start with 3.25 in prop to pad after rework
    It will perform better in all regards than the tempest
    Thank You Leon Pugh

Be sure your engine is not too high. Almost every boat we see a similar situation they have the engine too high on them.

4. Member
    Ronnie can get a lot of lift out of that 3 blade Fury if you have him work it.

Don
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    Be sure your engine is not too high. Almost every boat we see a similar situation they have the engine too high on them.
    running the manual plate "flush" which is about 3-3/4" p2p from my measuring...the holeshot and top end improved on the four blade when I brought the plate up to 3-1/2 "p2p but the 3blade Fury ran best at 3-3/4" p2p. I just had Croxton work a 2 fury 3 so I am excited to try that prop out. I also noticed that 1 side of my slidemaster jackplate is about 1/4-3/8" higher than the other side...if the two plates are fllush on the starboard side the port side outer plate sits about a 1/4" or more higher. very odd.

mine is a 2003 Cougar with 225 EFI Merc. when i bought the boat it had a 25p tempest and ran great. holeshot was great as well as speed a midrange. as i added weight to the boat such as 36v TM system, all of my graphs and power poles the holeshot suffered. i put a 24p Bravo 1 on it and holeshot is great now. i did loose some top end but with the weight i added i expected to but i set my boat up to fish. if i wanted a go fast boat i would have bought a Bullet or an Allison, but thats just me and everyone is different.

We have seen a Tempest perform better on one 2008 Cougar FTD with a 250 Pro XS engine in all our years. Otherwise we have always preferred a different propeller on the 250 engine series models.

A Fury set to the right depth will give that boat more lift than you need, Runs best trimmed just a little above neutral 2 ft rooster tail, any higher and you will lose speed an chine walk become an issue
    Do not get to hung up on lift, trim for the highest speed and best handling. Keep in mind you can spend that horsepower lifting the boat or pushing it, your choice and there is a fine optimal lane that works the best
    Thank You Leon Pugh

9. Member
    My manual JP also is a bit higher on one side. About 1/8-1/4 inch at flush. If I raise it 1/4 inch above flush, the left is near 1/2 above flush.
    Interesting as it was not that way on my Sabre with same JP? Not sure if this has any effect on on performance or handling. It doesnt seem to have any on my PII.

Don
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    A Fury set to the right depth will give that boat more lift than you need, Runs best trimmed just a little above neutral 2 ft rooster tail, any higher and you will lose speed an chine walk become an issue
    Do not get to hung up on lift, trim for the highest speed and best handling. Keep in mind you can spend that horsepower lifting the boat or pushing it, your choice and there is a fine optimal lane that works the best
    thanks for the tips! I have noticed this boat likes way less trim than my Pantera 4. On smart craft gauge it seems to run best trimmed to 5.5-6 with two guys loaded and about 5 with one guy loaded. When I add a second person on the stock fury 3 I lose a lot of lift and MPH. Hoping the Croxton work prop resolves some of that. I am running this boat heavy with a 112 ultrex & helix 12 at bow w/ 360, helix 12 at console, 31 AGM cranking battery, 3 27 series LA batteries for TM and front four compartments full. Keeping all my light stuff (crankbaits, topwaters, etc) in forward most compartment and heavy stuff (weights, hooks, plastics) in the two compartments just forward of console. I am guessing with the 225 HP and a 5650 rev limiter on the Optimax I am going to be limited to about 70 MPH loaded.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunhunter67 View Post
    My manual JP also is a bit higher on one side. About 1/8-1/4 inch at flush. If I raise it 1/4 inch above flush, the left is near 1/2 above flush.
    Interesting as it was not that way on my Sabre with same JP? Not sure if this has any effect on on performance or handling. It doesnt seem to have any on my PII.

Don
    yes it seems to have no effect on mine either @ 68 MPH with two guys I can take both ands off wheel with four blade....at 71 MPH solo I have to drive it a bit but feels normal compared with previous boats.

Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    We have seen a Tempest perform better on one 2008 Cougar FTD with a 250 Pro XS engine in all our years. Otherwise we have always preferred a different propeller on the 250 engine series models.
    thanks for the information!

5750 rev limiter on that motor, prop it for 5700, though I believe the 25 is the correct prop when setup is right and prop has been reworked
    Thank You Leon Pugh

Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    5750 rev limiter on that motor, prop it for 5700, though I believe the 25 is the correct prop when setup is right and prop has been reworked
    yes sorry for the typo on that 5750. I will post results after running the worked 25 tonight.