Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Gas shortage got me thinking - have I been wasting my time/money?

For the last 25+ years I have always attempted to put top-tier gas in my truck/car. Sometimes going out of my way to some degree especially while traveling. I've read numerous articles on the value of top-tier vs non. You can get a sound argument either way.

I understand gas is a commodity, it's all the same except for the additives. Wondering if I have been wasting my time over the years and some money as top tier is usually a few cents more. But when I see top tier recommended in my car/truck manuals, I feel better about it.

Top tier or not, I do shy away from what appears to be poorly maintained gas stations. Figure if it looks like crap, maybe the filters at the pump don't get changed regularly.

What's the opinion of this fine group of experts?

2. Member
    I used to care about top-tier vs non, but I stopped going out of my way. I don't think it makes a difference. I think your other suggestion of shying away from what appears to be a poorly maintained station is a good one though. I think it's more important that the pump is well maintained vs the top-tier debate.

Of more concern right now with the shortage is people pumping the last of the sludge from the tanks into their cars. That worries me more than the brand of gas.

If you want to buy a bunch of water with your fill-up, buy at the AM-PM convenience stores. It's happened too frequently to people I know to be a coincidence.
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.

My theory on gas is to buy only from name brand stations that get a lot of business. Better gas IMO and it is going to be fresh as high volume stations get almost daily deliveries.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Walkabout7781 View Post
    If you want to buy a bunch of water with your fill-up, buy at the AM-PM convenience stores. It's happened too frequently to people I know to be a coincidence.
    This and I also stay from larger stations that are frequently out of fuel on half the pumps.

I buy cheapest I can find from whatever station is closest. I couldn’t care less about looks of the station. Never had fuel trouble in any rig.

We buy the cheapest. Drive all our vehicles to 300,000 and above. Never any issues. And I have run biodiesel for a year or two in both of my fords and bobcat.

8. Member
    Don't believe it matters for today's engines. My BMW 535i requires premium, but lives on 87. No issues.
    Greg
    Edgewater 245CC

9. Proud American Union local16's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Roosterman View Post
    I buy cheapest I can find from whatever station is closest. I couldn’t care less about looks of the station. Never had fuel trouble in any rig.
    Same here.

Dale Sinclair original

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Altro Cat View Post
    My theory on gas is to buy only from name brand stations that get a lot of business. Better gas IMO and it is going to be fresh as high volume stations get almost daily deliveries.
    This^^^^^^^

11. Member
    I generally don't care. We know that it all comes from the same refineries - just the additive package is different. BUT. whether or not a tank is left half full all the time, or filters not changed, or... who knows what... water added... there can be a difference.

Without trying - when I changed from getting ethanol free from 3 or 4 different stations around town to (1) shell station, ... my carbureted 150 simply ran way, waaaay smoother. ... and that was the only thing that changed. It was 4 or so tank fulls before I realized what was going on.

so there's a difference station to station. Who knows how or why for each one. If you've got a good one, use it. When I'm travelling, I just use a shell or BP or exxon or Pilot/Loves and don't think twice about it.
    1985 Ranger 340v w/ 1985 Johnson GT150 Crossflow
    2018 BassCat Pantera Classic w/ 2018 Mercury 200 ProXS

my dad has a 2000 ram with a 5.9L it knocks or pings relatively easy, we found the right gas and or premium literally did better, i found with my 2006 hemi, 2012 hemi and 2014 hemi that top tier premium would produce nearly 1 mpg better pulling my boat. same discovery with my diesel truck, top tier does better for "felt" power and observer mpg's.(enough to pay for the extra price)
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

You are wasting your time and money.

+1 In small town I grew up in the same tanker delivered fuel to all six stations, that put me off paying 10-40 cents more for "top tier" gas
    "If People Concentrated on the Really Important Things in Life, There'd be a Shortage of Fishing Poles." - Doug Larson
    "Peace is not the absence of turmoil but the presence of God" Jo-Ann Thomack

I think it matters more in Diesel fuel than gasoline. I try to buy from higher volume stations. Diesel can attract/hold environmental moisture so fresher is better
    Azure AZ200 (with stuff like cupholders, bathroom and table)

My 1993 Suburban gets better mileage and has more power when running premium...as long as the premium gas costs no more than 20 cents per gallon more than regular. Around here, premium can be 30-40 cents a gallon more than regular, so I run regular. I believe that the data show that newer vehicles are made to run on the 87, so using higher octane is a waste of money.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

17. Member
    If your engine is designed to run regular 87 and you put premium in it you aren't gaining anything.

18. Banned
    I have a friend who has several trucks leased on with a tanker company here in Kentucky, those same tank trailers haul different types of oil, diesel, different grades of gas and jet fuel all in the same day. They don't get washed out after every load, if you haul a load of oil your next load will be diesel to rinse the tank. Makes you wonder how much cross contamination there actually is.

19. Member
    Most stations sell far more regular than premium. Regular = much fresher gas.

Same here. Only time I do anything different is for the gas I keep around for power tools and generators. I like to get pure gas for that but only because the lack of alcohol makes it better for storing
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast