Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mikesxpress

Tagged Largemouth Bass on the Chickahominy River

DWR has started a largemouth bass tagging project in the Chickahominy River, tagging 650 bass throughout the river. This project aims to estimate catch-and-release parameters and movement of largemouth bass in the Chickahominy and James Rivers.

If you catch a largemouth bass with a red dart tag in the James or Chickahominy River: take a photo of the tag, record the number, and release the fish with the tag still attached. Report the tag to the phone number on the tag and claim a $5 reward! Tag reports will be entered into a lottery for a chance to win $50.

I have a feeling that want to see how tournament fishing in the chick is affecting the River.
    2010 BassCat Cougar
    2010 Mercury 250 ProXS
    Minn Kota 36V/112
    Lowrance HDS 12's
    Hydrowave

3. Member
    Heard of a handful at weighin today.

4. Member
    I caught a nice one with a tag Saturday in the R7 tournament at the Chickahominy river. Thanks for the infoemation

5. mikesxpress
    John when you call the tag in, request the release date & location for the tagged fish, objective of the tagging study, when will the study conclude and data be published? Thanks!

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    John when you call the tag in, request the release date & location for the tagged fish, objective of the tagging study, when will the study conclude and data be published? Thanks!
    Definitely worth asking. There is a similar study underway where I fish in Ontario with the objective of seeing if bass and other species move through the Rideau canal locks in any appreciable numbers. In 2019 I caught three tagged bass, two were exactly where they'd been released a couple of months earlier whereas one had gone about 3 miles.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    10/4

I caught a 4 pounder with a tag today.
    2010 BassCat Cougar
    2010 Mercury 250 ProXS
    Minn Kota 36V/112
    Lowrance HDS 12's
    Hydrowave

9. Member
    It will be interesting to see how many tagged bass are caught near Osbourne and dutch gap.

10. Member
    If they had a release boat all three days of the Open, fish will not be near Osbourne.

11. Member
    Not thinking the Open but other tournaments out of Osburne.

12. mikesxpress
    Quote Originally Posted by BassKat1 View Post
    I caught a 4 pounder with a tag today.
    Kevin did you catch your tagged fish in the James or the Chic?

Caught in Chick. Main River pads.
    2010 BassCat Cougar
    2010 Mercury 250 ProXS
    Minn Kota 36V/112
    Lowrance HDS 12's
    Hydrowave

14. Procraft/Astro Boats Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by javelin90 View Post
    It will be interesting to see how many tagged bass are caught near Osbourne and dutch gap.
    They had a release boat but I heard they weren’t really going anywhere to dump them
    John Woodward

2010 Nitro Z8

Years ago, I volunteered the mornings and afternoons with weigh in. They had 2 release boats moored up and the runners would bring the fish bags to me and I dumped in the tanks. Once they had a tank full they would head out to dump. They never went down passed the Barge pits and up past 895 bridge.
    2010 BassCat Cougar
    2010 Mercury 250 ProXS
    Minn Kota 36V/112
    Lowrance HDS 12's
    Hydrowave

16. Member
    Caught one the other day.
    Called the number multiple times. No answers.

I left them voicemail and they called me back a few days later. Guess the line isn't manned constantly - they told me this is one of their busiest times of year.
    Wishing I was Fishing

Matthew caught a real nice one tagged yesterday nowhere near they said they had tagged. Way up River.
    2010 BassCat Cougar
    2010 Mercury 250 ProXS
    Minn Kota 36V/112
    Lowrance HDS 12's
    Hydrowave

19. Member
    I caught two in one week back in May. They tagged about 600 bass. After tournament fishing this river for almost 30 years, I can promise you that it is going to have an impact on the river. In fact, it is already having an impact. Sure, there are a lots of fish, and bags are big to win, but no body of water, including Guntersville, Potomac, St lawrence etc, will not handle the constant demand. I live ON the James river and the amounts of bass boats 7 days a week plus the the amount of tourneys weekly from March to November will have a major impact in the next few years. Too many people fishing and too many tournaments for too many years. I have seen this river when it's bad, lots of guys out there now have not, and it gets really bad.
    2021/ 200 hp 4 stroke pro xs
    2021 Triton TRX 18
    #3B051045

20. Member
    Hey all,

I caught one this weekend in a tourney. Took a photo but I can only make out the tag number, I can’t see the phone number. Anyone have the phone number? All I got is 804....thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast