Ultrex GPS performance issue

I just started using this last fall. I am coming from an Xi5. Most claim that the GPS is more accurate and that the Ultrex holds the anchor position better. My experience has not been that at all. The Ultrex seems to constantly search for its position. It "jogs" back and forth sometimes to the point where you almost fall over.

Has anyone else had this issue? This doesn't happen all of the time but it's happened more than a few times. I've turned the anchor mode off and then back on to allow it to reposition itself but get the same result. I have the GPS puck installed, working and is mounted 2 feet to the right of the trolling motor.

Any thoughts?
    Triton 180DC---150hp Yamaha Vmax HPDI---Bobs 6" Hydro Plate---24 Tempest Plus---Ultrex---Lowrance Carbons

2. Member
    Have you paired and calibrated the puck? Have you used the remote the adjust the boat scale?

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bandit53 View Post
    Have you paired and calibrated the puck? Have you used the remote the adjust the boat scale?
    Yes. Did that when I installed it last fall. I stored my boat all winter, should I try it again?
    Triton 180DC---150hp Yamaha Vmax HPDI---Bobs 6" Hydro Plate---24 Tempest Plus---Ultrex---Lowrance Carbons

OK

First the little white puck is the heading sensor (Magnetic Compass) it is not the GPS and plays no role in holding you on a spot
    it is for the jog feature when you are spot locked you can use the arrows on the remote to move you 5 feet at a time in what ever direction you want

The GPS is in the head of the trolling motor

What this sounds like is that you have the "Boat Scale" set for a heavier boat than what you have

you need to turn on the remote and under settings scroll down to boat scale

most bass boats use a scale of "2" but you can adjust it till you find the best number for your boat
    "The handicapped angler"

5. Member
    Default is 0(like after you do an update on the remote because it resets to default) the numbers are +1 and 2,0 and -1 and 2
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MichAngler View Post
    OK

First the little white puck is the heading sensor (Magnetic Compass) it is not the GPS and plays no role in holding you on a spot
    it is for the jog feature when you are spot locked you can use the arrows on the remote to move you 5 feet at a time in what ever direction you want

The GPS is in the head of the trolling motor

What this sounds like is that you have the "Boat Scale" set for a heavier boat than what you have

you need to turn on the remote and under settings scroll down to boat scale

most bass boats use a scale of "2" but you can adjust it till you find the best number for your boat
    Great info. I fully understand the first part and followed to a T when I set up the TM. I was not aware of the boat scale.
    Last edited by Podcast; 05-13-2021 at 01:55 PM.

7. Member
    I set the boat scale to -2 on a 20ft boat and it holds within 3-4' according to the remote.... It is fine in wind or current, but when it is calm it will hunt like any other spot lock trolling motor of various brands I have used.
    Fish have fins, they swim

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ-Rohlf View Post
    I set the boat scale to -2 on a 20ft boat and it holds within 3-4' according to the remote.... It is fine in wind or current, but when it is calm it will hunt like any other spot lock trolling motor of various brands I have used.
    Ok. I'm sure mine is set wrong. I have the opposite issue, when I'm in heavy current is when it swings mainly from left to right at high speeds and seems to be over shooting it's spot back and forth. I'm going to drop it down to -2 and begin the testing from there.