Replacing Armature on 112# fortrex?

How difficult is this to do? I have never been inside the foot of a trolling motor, but I have a parts diagram and watched some you tube videos of replacing an 80# maxxum.

3 questions:

1. Is it possible to to just remove the nose cone and replace from that side so I don't have to remove the brush plate assembly?
    2. What is the deal with the magnets? Does that create a dangerous situation where I might lose a finger or something?
    3. Is it neccessary to go into the head of the motor, or can it all be done from the foot?
    4. Do my questions make you think I might not should attempt this?

Thanks

2. Member
    I tore into mine with 0 experience. Replaced the entire armature and o rings in a matter of 10 minutes. There is some pressure there but I don’t think it would take a finger off. The magnets just kind of make everything feel stuck but once you loosen the bolts it all kinda starts to make sense. Pay close attention to how the washers are inside. Very critical to get those in correct.

3. Member
    I just went through this....decided to go to a ASC and have it done. Watched him do it that day. Im a pretty mechanical person, but there were defiantly some things that would have tripped me up. Id suggest letting them do it.