First Boat Questions

My son (10) joined his school bass fishing team this year and I’ve been “boat captain” for him and his partner, in an older borrowed 17’ ProGator. It’s been tough, as that boat is really not meant for three people, even with me not fishing. I’m constantly tripping on stuff in the boat, because it’s cramped, and getting down in the console is a pain. I’m thinking of getting a War Eagle Blackhawk 961 CC with a Yamaha 115 SHO. I like the idea of a center console because it allows me to sit higher and spot snags when we fish rivers, and it just seems like it would be easier for me getting back and forth to the front and rear decks to untangle the boys’ lines, etc. They’re not bad anglers, but there still 10 yr olds, and get tangled a good bit.

Here are some of my questions:
    Anyone know if that setup would need a jack plate to get through skinny water? If so, how much setback?

Thinking about Humminbird electronics, but don’t know enough about all of the high tech stuff. I’ve fished my whole life, but not tournament fishing, and never really messed with the electronics. I’m confused as hell on this stuff. Is there a way to get their Mega Live (when it finally arrives), the Mega 360, the side imaging, and the down imaging in one package with a larger console screen and smaller bow screen?

Are these high-tech trolling motors worth the $$? The spot lock/anchor feature looks useful, but I’m not sure I’d ever use the autopilot and all that. Maybe I’d change my mind if I had it? Should I get at least one shallow water anchor to go with a spot locking trolling motor? It seems like if you don’t have the boat nosing into the wind, the boat would just pivot around the trolling motor when the wind blows you, but I don’t know.

Thanks!

2. Member
    Congrats and that's awesome to be supporting your son and his friend! I am a middle school teacher, and can definitely attest to how rewarding it is to participate and advise in clubs like these. And to think you're doing it in a hobby that we all enjoy so much, what a win win!

In terms of the center-console, I think that's a great option. It terms of the Pro Gator vs. the War Eagle (which I believe is 18') might bring some improvement in terms of comfort/stability, however there are other considerations worth mentioning as well given the details that you shared. I often fish with 3 on my boat (older Ranger but 20'6" fiberglass), and it's really stable (even with 4 people and a dog walking around). As the 10 yr olds. grow, and assuming you continue to take them fishing regularly, in 3 years from now, consider their size/weights. As an 8th grade teacher, my 14 yr old students tower above 6th graders. Essentially what I'm alluding to is that whatever you upgrade to, you won't want to be caught in the same scenario in just a year or two that you find yourself in at the present.

In terms of electronics, I used Humminbird exclusively for about 7 years, and now have them mounted at the console, with full Garmin on the bow (2 screens and a Force TM). I used Minn Kota trolling motors prior to that (Maxxum and Fortrex), and previous to the Garmin did not have an anchor/spot lock feature. I use it VERY often now (Probably 10-20 times per day). In between tying lines, netting fish, "getting organized", etc. it's literally like having another person at the front that can assist you. Given the likelihood that you are helping the boys out a lot with re-tying, getting unsnagged, netting fish, it's such piece of mind to be able to hit the button and immediately be able to walk away from the TM without having to worry about where your boat is drifting at all.

I don't personally have any shallow water anchors at this time. Even with anchor lock on, the aft of the boat doesn't swing around much, even in heavy wind. So I probably would place this low on the priority list (unless of course you find yourselves frequenting shallow water and that's typical topo for your fisheries - in which case you would use the shallow water anchors often).

The Mega Live has and continues to be discussed at length. I can't speak to the total cost of their electronics, but I can say between a Force, Livescope, and two new Ultra units, I spent a TON on electronics (not to mention 4 new batteries, wiring, breakers, etc etc). So, while the costs are as high as they are, and while 1st gen HB Mega Live will be working out its initial kinks (and the fact they sometimes they are sold out and that's further delay again), then I think you're probably wise to keep things simple and slowly but surely make the upgrades. For example, if your electronics are Mega Live capable, then that should suffice for the time being, without needing to invest thousands more right off the bat.

Good luck and thank you again for supporting our next generation of anglers! If I can be of further help, or send over some donations to the club, please let me know. I know that plenty of us would be willing to help with sponsorships and support. I have a HB 597 down imaging just collecting dust that I'd be happy to donate.

As a robotics teacher, we get a lot of great sponsorships from the community, and I would highly suggest you make that known to the retailers that you're considering purchasing from to see if they can provide further support. Just "food for thought"

Tight lines
    Jan-Erik
    2000 Ranger 520DVS, Mercury Optimax 225HP

3. Member
    Thanks! I’m actually a robotics teacher too. Hoping to get everything done in time to spend some of the summer break out on the lake.

4. Member
    As sand surf mentioned, spot lock is a game changer! although no different than dropping a single anchor off the bow, you will always be pointing into the wind as it will swing the stern around.
    I use minnkota and hummingbirds but I’m sure all the newer models from each brand are about the same but I can put 2 younger ones up front and run the troll motor from the remote or my cell phone from anywhere in the boat or either of the hummingbirds while they fish.
    Oh and set it on follow a contour or back track and it does the rest! Do you need it, no, but it’s nice tools to have!
    2019 Ranger rt188c
    115 pro xs ct
    Ulterra 24v ipilot link
    bird helix 9 gen2 mega console
    bird helix 10 gen3 mega bow
    spyderlok r100 rod holders
    spyderlok r300 transport

5. Member
    Country bladesmith,
    Thank you so very much for taking a very personal interest in your child and I am sure the rest of your children, which is more than many do these days with the many excuses of a busy life schedule. I am glad that you are a robotics teacher, so when you do get a boat, you will not have any issues rigging it.
    I do remember the long evenings at robotics club with my son in Jr HS and HS, so I appreciate your knowledge and patience. I taught my son how to hold a rod and reel it in at about 3-4 yrs old, and fished many yrs from the many boats we have had over the yrs., from the back platform of a big Sea Ray Weekender to several bass boats. As he grew older, his interest in fishing faded and even coming out to the lake house seemed a chore to him. Perhaps, the fact that he grew up mostly with his mother after the divorce may have had some impact, but till a couple yrs back, we spent wkends doing things from fishing to showing our car collection. Now, at 26 yrs old, and the world has changed, he has no interest in fishing hardly even in boating.
    Therefore, truly ask yourself how deeply invested does your son seem to be into fishing, especially bass fishing, which narrows things even further? and based on that assessment, how much money do you wish to invest into a bass fishing rig?
    How invested are you into bass fishing? and how much money do you want to invest into the sport?
    There is good used boats out there that should fit your needs perfectly for a few yrs, giving you time to reassess your situation further into the future. You can easily invest 10K in electronics and the newest TM with all kind of features that require a small power plant to operate for a day's outing, but you need to ask yourself based on your fishing condition, whether or not you need a 12" or 16" fishfinder with a TM that you can launch from shore with a remote keeping you in your spot via GPS. BTW, regardless of all the fancy toys, you need to truly understand your fishing environment and techniques to put fish in bag, and personally, I rather spend more time refining my techniques and mechanics than having to learn all the feature in the newest and greatest toys.

At the end of the day, I pray that you and your son share many yrs of FISHING FUN, regardless, if your son will be the next KVD.
    Be safe and be blessed.

6. Member
    Thanks. My son is pretty serious about it. It’s the first thing he’s ever really been into, and he’d fish 24/7 if I let him. I tried to get him into baseball and some other sports, and he didn’t care for it. He would go hunting with me, but wasn’t as into it as I was. But the boy loves fishing, with a passion. When he found out there was a fishing team at his school, that was it. Personally, I love fishing too, and have my whole life, but tournament fishing is a whole new world for me. Never really did any of that, so I’m learning right along with him on some of this stuff. I fished for years out of an old school Skeeter Hawk with stick steer. Pretty much grew up on Lake Bistineau here, so I’m not new to fishing, just new to some of the current tech. We can certainly catch fish without all the fancy bells and whistles, but if he’s going to be fishing competitively, I figure I better go ahead and start learning this stuff.
    This will be an investment for sure, but I have wanted a boat for a long time, and my wife also loves going fishing with me, so I’ll bite that financial bullet if everyone gets some enjoyment out of it. Even if my son changes his mind some time in the future, I’ll still use it, especially during the summers when I’m off. We may even do a little duck hunting in it, too. Both of my vehicles are paid off and in good shape, and my house note isn’t that much, so if I get a new one, I plan on probably doubling up on boat payments while I can, so I’m not paying on it forever.
    I have been trying to find a used one, but haven’t had much luck yet. Still looking though. We might make a trip to the southern part of the state and check around down there. You can’t throw a rock without hitting a boat dealer down there. Center consoles are a lot more popular down there as well. They’re tough to find in the northern part of the state.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Country Bladesmith View Post
    Thanks. My son is pretty serious about it. It’s the first thing he’s ever really been into, and he’d fish 24/7 if I let him. I tried to get him into baseball and some other sports, and he didn’t care for it. He would go hunting with me, but wasn’t as into it as I was. But the boy loves fishing, with a passion. When he found out there was a fishing team at his school, that was it. Personally, I love fishing too, and have my whole life, but tournament fishing is a whole new world for me. Never really did any of that, so I’m learning right along with him on some of this stuff. I fished for years out of an old school Skeeter Hawk with stick steer. Pretty much grew up on Lake Bistineau here, so I’m not new to fishing, just new to some of the current tech. We can certainly catch fish without all the fancy bells and whistles, but if he’s going to be fishing competitively, I figure I better go ahead and start learning this stuff.
    This will be an investment for sure, but I have wanted a boat for a long time, and my wife also loves going fishing with me, so I’ll bite that financial bullet if everyone gets some enjoyment out of it. Even if my son changes his mind some time in the future, I’ll still use it, especially during the summers when I’m off. We may even do a little duck hunting in it, too. Both of my vehicles are paid off and in good shape, and my house note isn’t that much, so if I get a new one, I plan on probably doubling up on boat payments while I can, so I’m not paying on it forever.
    I have been trying to find a used one, but haven’t had much luck yet. Still looking though. We might make a trip to the southern part of the state and check around down there. You can’t throw a rock without hitting a boat dealer down there. Center consoles are a lot more popular down there as well. They’re tough to find in the northern part of the state.
    I am very glad to hear that your son's only interest seems to be focused on fishing, so the only competition fishing will have are girls. It is great to hear that you have a good plan, and pulling from your home equity would be the cheapest interest, since you could refinance at extremely low rates. Since you are planning to use the boat for other purposes, a CC would be a very good choice, especially on long term bases for family use. Multiple boats are nice, but a very expensive proposition since you are doubling or tripling every expense of boating, so do your diligent homework on the areas and water you will be fishing planning your gear accordingly. There is lot of good used of everything out there, especially since some people feel that they need to show off their buddies at the ramp.
    Tournaments are a beast of their own with super competitive people these days, which is the reason why I stopped competing because of the lack of comradery, even from small clubs. I have heard some fishermen say that not too many people are being introduced to the bass fishing sport, yet these are the same people ultra competitive attitudes that try to push all the social media BS of the latest and greatest where a new bass rig will set you back 100K. I will be hanging on to mine for a few more yrs, and I pray that I will be blessed with good health to use it.

Be well and be blessed.