Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bman5150 View Post
    I was watching when he did that. I think he’s dammed if he does and dammed if he don’t. If he stays quiet, everyone in the electronic media works says he’s hiding something and he should have said something. If he says something, social media jumps on him for saying something.

But his attitude along with his over the top comments seemed a bit much to me. There ya go..now I’m doing it.
    I totally understand why he did his monologue, he’s snapped rods before and has to cover for his sponsor. I’m probably biased, the only 13 stuff I’ve used felt like junk compared to the other major rod / reel manufacturers. I’m sure they make some decent stuff, but can’t really see becoming a customer when diawa/shimano/loomis etc are out there.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunhunter67 View Post
    Well stated.
    Its all about marketing for NEW buyers.
    If you don't think KVD throwing Strike King product haven't made them a huge amount of money, then your being blinded by your brand loyalty. I guaranty you young anglers have found themselves in Nitro's due to him running them.

I don't know whats up with Ranger and wont pretend I do, but something isnt kosher. From their release of all their Pro's, lack of advertising to the poor customer service, something doesn't add up.
    Just because you have set the standard for many years does not mean you dont have to work to stay there.

You can bet that having Arron Martins, Hackney and others in a Phoenix put them on the board and sales have boomed ever since. That Marketing strategy works.
    Many people buy Bass boats and do not tournament fish, yet they will still watch BASS or other competitive tournaments. I did.
    That alone makes Rangers current marketing strategy a poor choice. So it leaves me thinking "Whats up with Ranger"?

IMO opinion, I believe the bean counters are running things with no idea of the sport itself. Shareholder driven decisions that are based on earnings and cutting costs. I'm probably wrong and I hope I am.

Don
    I agree with you, Don. Beans counters are the problem. But, Bass Pro isn’t a public company, are they? Doesn’t JM own the whole shebang?
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjenson View Post
    I totally understand why he did his monologue, he’s snapped rods before and has to cover for his sponsor. I’m probably biased, the only 13 stuff I’ve used felt like junk compared to the other major rod / reel manufacturers. I’m sure they make some decent stuff, but can’t really see becoming a customer when diawa/shimano/loomis etc are out there.
    I've fished with a number of people that have tested rods for 13 and some of them broke, then a year or two later when it comes out the issues with production rods are about the same as any other brand. Their expensive line of rods is about the same as other loomis rods I have fished at the same price point. They also have mid range/lower range rods that perform great. Ever think that they are filling a market shortage of a quality rod $80-$120? We all can't afford 15 $200 rods.
    Fish have fins, they swim

Dripping Springs, Texas and Wahpeton, Iowa
    Originally Posted by hulapopr
    He also has some flw earnings.
    https://majorleaguefishing.com/angle...laukat-178198/

Quote Originally Posted by skeeterator View Post
    1.4 million in earnings divided by 25 years is $56k a year before all the expenses of equipment, entry fees and travel. Sponsors have carried him for years and now he's crying cause one dropped his ass.

I'm sure the BBC Experts that practice "Selective Delusional Pro Fishing Accounting" will be along to explain the errors in your calculations as they have tried to convince others that an aspiring Pro winning approximately $3,000 in the B.A.S.S. Opens over an 8 year span is making a living fishing.

I'll bet that according to The Assumptions of their Accounting Principles someone making $56,000 a year before expenses in the Pro Fishing World would probably put them on the same level as Bill Gates and Warren Buffett.

Maybe Randy is getting appearance fees in the form of cash payments under the table from B.A.S.S. and the Host Community for just showing up and drawing a crowd he is a Legend for flooding his boat to win a Tournament and is a YouTube Star so after he gets paid for autograph sessions and posing for pictures the Tournament Winnings are just Chump Change in comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix5252 View Post
    And he's about as well liked as a wife at the strip joint!
    I suppose that depends on if she is working.

Quote Originally Posted by Mcjenson View Post
    you could argue the white River marine group still outsells the competitions boats combined, and by dropping pro staff they are able to start a tournament trail with prizes so big you literally have to enter a raffle to be able to earn the privilege to fish it. All a matter of perspective.
    Agree!

As far as advertising, name a boat manufacturer that advertises more than Ranger, Triton, and Nitro? Just think of all the foot traffic Bass Pro Shop and Cabela’s gets every single day at one of their many stores plus other dealerships that sell their boats, then of course the Pro’s that fish out of these boats and on line videos. And what better memories can you make as a kid than going with your Dad or Uncle on a Saturday or Sunday morning to buy baits at Bass Pro or Cabrela’s and seeing all the new shiny boats sitting on the showroom floor and climbing and crawling all over the boats? Memories! But what does JM know? He’s an old guy on his way out. He doesn’t know how to run a business!

7. Member
    a lot of people here are thinking about Randy a lot
    1995 Ranger 690 VS
    2008 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ-Rohlf View Post
    I've fished with a number of people that have tested rods for 13 and some of them broke, then a year or two later when it comes out the issues with production rods are about the same as any other brand. Their expensive line of rods is about the same as other loomis rods I have fished at the same price point. They also have mid range/lower range rods that perform great. Ever think that they are filling a market shortage of a quality rod $80-$120? We all can't afford 15 $200 rods.
    Like I said, I’m sure they make some decent stuff but the bait cast reels of theirs I used were pretty bad. And the lower end rods I thought carbonlites were a much better value. Different strokes for different folks though
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

9. BBC SPONSOR
    No has mentioned that Randy had a FLW team deal with Fuji for several years. Those deals paid the anglers well.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron H 520 View Post
    Mr Hopper is a class act IMO.
    Doubt many Champion owners share that feeling!

11. Banned
    Ranger? I thought that was military. No clue anything named Ranger had anything to do with boats or fishing.

12. Member
    Maybe at Ranger, they are talking about how Randy is fading away......
    2016 Ranger RT188, Yamaha 115 sho, dual console, 80# Ultrex, hotfoot, networked HB Solix 10 & Helix 9, Mega 360. Powertech NRS3 18p, Atlas 4" jack plate.

13. Member
    I enjoy listening to his videos. Very down to earth guy. I've owned a couple rangers. They fish well and look good but they don't ride well and the performance is lacking.

14. Member
    Ranger sells boats off their name and reputation from 20 years ago. Problem is while every other manufacturer improved Ranger stayed stagnant.
    What do they have left to claim? Alot argue that the fit and finish is the best but it's even with everyone else, sure aren't the best riding, yea they're stable while fishing but so are the rest of the 96" beam boats.
    I know die hard Ranger owners like to toot about how "everything is compared to a Ranger". It used to be, but not anymore. Stage up for a tournament and listen to people talk. Skeeter, Phoenix, Basscat, Caymas, and Blazer are what I hear being talked about and compared to each other. Ranger is only mentioned when people talk about how much better they like what they've got now over the Ranger they had.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flip Flop Fisher View Post
    a lot of people here are thinking about BASHING RANGER a lot
    Fixed it for you .......

16. Member
    Buddy of mine “was” a lifetime Ranger owner ! until his last boats gelcoat never cured properly! the colors started to run together! now he runs a Vexus “ !...

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Landar View Post
    I enjoy listening to his videos. Very down to earth guy. I've owned a couple rangers. They fish well and look good but they don't ride well and the performance is lacking.
    I've been watching his YouTube channel regularly as well, and commenting. I find it hilarious that old school guys on here are talking about how Randy B. is "fading away", when, at the same time, talking about him and his tournament winnings alone. I think the old "Pro-Anglers for Boat Brand X" marketing and making a living is fading away. As Randy mentioned in another video about making money outside the tournaments, like on YouTube- do you think any of the Googan Squad make money fishing tournaments and hawking bass boats? Randy's YouTube channel where he discussed everything from bait rigging tips to the sociological and environmental aspects of the sport are making a name for himself among the fishermen who are intellectually curious and who like to discuss the deeper subjects surrounding the sport. That, in return will give him money from YouTube AND attract attention from endemic sponsors, as well as non-endemic ones. I definitely don't agree with everything he says, but folks bat stuff around pretty well in the comments section, and video comments work to garner more YouTube money as well.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345