250xb Lower unit lube change???

Do the seals need to be replaced? I know the answer is probably yes but wanted to ask people with a lot more knowledge
    Attached Images Attached Images

Pressure test before replacing all of the seals as it might be the drive shaft or shift shaft seals. Prop shaft seals would need a mechanic with special tools to replace.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

3. Member
    I bought billet everything,input shaft support, shift shaft support, bearing carrier, aka output shaft, haven't had a drop back in since. Got sick of getting water in, fixed
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

Quote Originally Posted by DewRonInc View Post
    I bought billet everything,input shaft support, shift shaft support, bearing carrier, aka output shaft, haven't had a drop back in since. Got sick of getting water in, fixed
    Ron did you rebuild it yourself?
    2013 BassCat Cougar
    Serial # 1B962763

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DewRonInc View Post
    whered parts come from
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    MAD Efi, more than likely. I've installed a few of them.

KFD-KING, that doesn't look like a ton of water. Have you had any water problems in the past?

At the least: Pressure test, and replace the seals on the drain and vent screws (EVERY time).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Have it scheduled to be pressured tested. Will post results.

8. Member
    It passed a pressure test and the mechanic did a vacuum test too. Put new screws, washers, and hopefully no more problems.