So Braidwood stinks now?

I've been hearing a lot of grumbling about the lake since the massive fish kill late last summer. Has anyone seen much a difference? Can't remember when the lake opened up last year after the onset of the pandemic, so I imagine tournament data is only really comparable to 2019. I went out opening week and had about the same outing I usually have. Haven't been back due to my schedule but was hoping to get back in June/July. Not sure if the lake went backwards or it's just a slump between seasons.

2. Member
    I'm fishing my spots and catching usual numbers. size is down a bit on average.
    Please release me,let me go.

3. Member
    Just my own experience on the water. Last year prior to forth of July weekend between my son and I my son and I landed and released 17 bass that weighed 5 lbs or better with the big bass being just over 7 lbs landed from my son. It was pretty common for us together to have a best five weekday weight of 18 lbs and a few days of 19. Post 4th of July weekend we have yet to land a fish over 4 lbs let alone 5 lbs. Our numbers are way down compared to last year at the same time. We have seen an increase in bass 13-14 inches.

4. Member
    WOW!!!!!! I HAVE to throw the B.S. FLAG on that one!!!!!

5. Member
    Let's not get into it on this thread gents. Agree to disagree on size if you wish, but the question still remains on whether the fish kill actually screwed up the fishery, or if it's just a blip in data. I suppose the next couple months will determine the answer but I've had several local sticks tell me exactly what Crankin has in that numbers of smaller fish have gone up, while better quality fish seem to be MIA.

Quote Originally Posted by purduephigam View Post
    Let's not get into it on this thread gents. Agree to disagree on size if you wish, but the question still remains on whether the fish kill actually screwed up the fishery, or if it's just a blip in data. I suppose the next couple months will determine the answer but I've had several local sticks tell me exactly what Crankin has in that numbers of smaller fish have gone up, while better quality fish seem to be MIA.
    This has been my experience as well.
    2016 Tuffy X-190
    Yamaha F175, Mercury 9.9
    Motorguide 80 lb Xi5
    Garmim/Humminbird graphs and Talon

Quote Originally Posted by POPSLAVAZ View Post
    WOW!!!!!! I HAVE to throw the B.S. FLAG on that one!!!!!
    In this case, you would probably be wrong. I just saw this discussion and felt obliged to respond and state what I know about Ed (Crankin). I have fished around him and his son and they are both very good fisherman who know what they are doing. Ed Carrie's a digital scale and he weighs every fish that he catches and keeps METICULOUS notes. They are not tournament fisherman but they fish as much or nearly as much as I do. I couldn't tell you how many 5 lbers I caught last year unless I looked through the online results of every single tournament that I fished in 2020 and that would not even account for the fish that I caught and never weighed during practice or just days spent fun fishing....but I guarantee you that Ed could, because he has it all in writing.I hope this helps to clear up any misconceptions...Phil