Question Just purchased 2 new 93sv, now the questions!

Like the title says, just joined the family with the purchase of 2 new 93sv units, panoptix may come later but not now. I will have more questions in the future but I have some that I really need answered sooner than later. I have an 05 201 Stratos, trying to figure out which mounts are best. There will be 1 unit in the front and 1 at the console. Neither will fit in the designated spots so I have to use mounts, will also have to cover up the slots they came out of. What are you all using to close up those slots in the boat? What kind of mounts are you guys using in the front and back for single mounts? Thought about the Ram mounts, but I don't know if that's best. Just want to go the best route without making too many mistakes and drilling excess holes in the boat. Also got the cable that links the 2 units together. I need to know what cable is needed to link the console unit to the motor to see the motor information? Thanks in advance for all the info. Looking forward to using and learning these units and what they show me under the surface!!

2. Member
    Congrats on the new Garmins!

So I use a combination of a bunch of different brands. Precision Sonar (great products and customer service), Hennessey Outdoor Electronics, and Ram Mounts. So it really comes down to preference. With Livescope a lot of us prefer to have the unit elevated higher off the front deck for a few reasons: you will find yourself constantly changing settings throughout the day (gain, color schemes, ranges, etc.), and then of course because it simply makes it easier to see the minute details (such as your lures) when your eyes are closer to the control head. This of course comes at a cost, and you may prefer to keep it lower when flying down the lake at speed and what not.

In terms of networking, the 93 UHDs have only a single ethernet port on the back. So if you have Livescope set up on your bow unit, then that LS ducer will utilize the ethernet port. Meaning you will need a NMEA system and additional hub that will allow you to connect multiple ethernet-using products in order to share data in that way. For this reason (not wanting to invest in a NMEA system), I went with one Ultra 106sv unit and one 93 UHD. Since the Ultra has two ethernet ports on the back (one of which is for the LS), the other allowed me to network to the two units together without the need for a separate data-sharing system. For now, you will be able to network the two 93 UHD units easily, which is awesome. But in the future, it's good to know that a single port on the back of the unit is a minor limitation that won't allow for networking if LS is installed (without the NMEA system installed of course).

My two HB units at the console work the same way, but in hindsight, networking between the console and bow would be awesome, as you identify structure, mark it as a waypoint, then head to the bow, and easily navigate right back to it. But in the end, the set up works fine for me (mostly a weekend warrior).

For covering the slots/screw-holes that are no longer being utilized, you can use marine-tex or 3M marine adhesive silicone sealant. The 3M comes in white, clear, and black, and we use 5200 for below the water line and 4200 for above (as it is semi-permanent and easy to remove if you ever make changes). Cure time on 5200 is slow (like a week), but 4200 is like a day. They work great!

Not sure about the data cable to the motor, but you can search up your big motor's model (I have a 2000 Merc 225), and then you will be able to select the data cable for monitoring all of those engine diagnostics in real-time.

IMG_0190.jpgIMG_0277.jpgIMG_0422.jpg
    Last edited by sandsurf68; 05-11-2021 at 03:28 PM.
    Jan-Erik
    2000 Ranger 520DVS, Mercury Optimax 225HP

3. Member
    Thank you very much for your response! What size ram mount are you using?

4. Member
    I want to say it's about a 2" diameter ball. In the Ram Mount descriptions they will list their most common applications, and large control heads/fish finders should definitely be one of the items listed in there. The gimbal brackets on the Garmins usually match up great into the bases where they bolt on as well. I remember Ram required only a a 1.25 or 1.5" for the 597 HB, but I would estimate somewhere in the 2" diameter range would be appropriate for the Garmins.

Precision sonar makes a great mounting bracket as well, as does Bass Pro (I want to say it's called a KVD KONG), but ultimately based on price, usage, ratings, etc. I went with the Ram and am very pleased with it. I am sure the others do very well too, so it's just preference in terms of size, mounting area, looks, etc.

Here's another photo of the console from the other side...

IMG_0191.jpg
    Jan-Erik
    2000 Ranger 520DVS, Mercury Optimax 225HP

5. Member
    Thanks, that is what I needed. That back shot is perfect. I just want to make sure the ram mount is long enough for my Stratos 201, mounting it in the same area as yours. Want to make sure it clears that lip of the console!

I have installed a 93 on each of my last 2 boats. I have used the "D" size ram mount and they have worked perfectly. And I like the ability to lay the units flat on the deck of the boat when trailering to avoid any rocks hitting them from the road. 20200328_150520_resized.jpg
    Layton Strong
    Nitro State Team

7. Member
    I used a 3/16 thick plate of aluminum and mounted the units to plate003.JPG006.JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images