FYI: Ken Smith review of Allison

FYI: Ken Smith review of Allison

2. Member
    Would have been nice to have somebody present to address some of his observations and explain why they are built like they are. I've enjoyed a lot of his reviews, but this one fell off the mark in my opinion. People are commenting that the interior of the boat is all plastic. On another note, I really like the matte gray they did on this rig. Some day I hope to be fortunate enough to own an Allison...for now my Puma will have to do.

3. Member
    In my opinion, Smith took a negative approach to his assessment and commented negatively on several things he was guessing about, not even a real opinion. He’s not very knowledgeable if he can’t tell the difference in molded gelcoat and plastic.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Morgan View Post
    In my opinion, Smith took a negative approach to his assessment and commented negatively on several things he was guessing about, not even a real opinion. He’s not very knowledgeable if he can’t tell the difference in molded gelcoat and plastic.
    Exactly my thoughts as well.

Shame is the score he gives will likely not be what it should be. if he was better informed about the boat and not basing his assessment on certain details he is wrong about (inside being plastic goof on him) I feel like the boat would score respectively against the others
    24’Bass Cat Puma Sts-300 Proxs
    23’Gatortrax Gt tunnel hull-200 Suzuki

6. Member
    I enjoy what Ken is doing and he’s not wrong to score and observe the boats how they fit for “him” after all it’s who he’s shopping for. The trouble I find and I’ve seen this in several boats he’s reviewed and I believe the Allison is going to be victim to it, is he scores some things low not based on poor quality or design but just not what he likes. Like I say, his videos and his boat he’s shopping for so more power to him. Just not unbiased at all and through a fairly narrow lense... I couldn’t rate a Bullet or Allison or Ballistic on performance, I have zero seat time to make a fair assessment.. but I respect and appreciate the attention to detail I see in their builds.
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

7. Member
    A few thoughts on Ken,

He is coming out of a lead sled but wants lead sled sized decks and speed. His assessments have been all over the place, even with the Ranger there was a two point difference in the trailer score between and L and C boat from what I remember. His Top three were the Lynx, Phoenix and Blazer. He roasted Ballistic because they don't make enough boats, yet Blazer who made 48 total in 2020 was a top three boat? He also gave high praise to Bullet for their performance numbers, yet couldn't figure out how to drive the Ballistic and was in a boat that hadn't been dialed in yet. He took Phoenix out of the running because too many people have them, odd for a guy that was running a Ranger for many years. What does he ultimately land on? A Basscat Lynx??? I don't even remember him driving that boat, the owner seemed to be the one driving it. The third video of the Basscat Review was 39 minutes, Allison got one video and 21 minutes.

I've known people at Basscat and they make a solid boat, but they aren't always easy to drive. Not sure how well Ken will drive the boat as well, I think this whole series was somewhat skewed by his predetermined desires, I suspected the Lynx would win after his videos for it. He thinks he has a rocket when at least four other boats tested are legitimate 4-10 mph faster boats. When he gets all his crap in that Lynx, another dude, full tanks and livewells he is gonna see 72mph if he is lucky and can drive it. As far as his video go, don't get to influenced by an old man that has never driven a performance hull to its capability.

I think he will find that boat under powered with a 250 if he runs heavy A buddy has a 300 on his and it needs all of it when its loaded. He just bought a xb21 so will be interesting to see how he compares them.

9. Member
    Anyone know what mount they were using in the dash for the graph? I'm looking to upgrade my graphs next year and would like to go with something a lil bigger then the onix 8 I have in there now.thanks

Wish he had gotten with a different dealer.
    But thats ok---- I don't believe they need Ken's blessing to sell.. I'm sure he will also get informed as to what that (spray on looking plastic) actually is and how well it holds up.
    You take that part out of his review and I agree with a lot of it. There NOT for everyone and thats why most of us have one-----or two or three.

11. Member
    Ken smith's YouTube chanel..I would almost guess he new what boat he was buying before he ever did the videos . I bet his hit total went through the roof . I wouldn't be surprised if he made enough to pay for that boat he bought.. great idea! I don't think he gave alot of boats a fare shake..
    I've had my allison 5 yrs now and I'll probably never sell it.it has held up very well.. I bought it for the build quality ,the ride,the storage,and the stable fishing platform, the speed was just a bonus for me.. most people have no clue about these boats.. I didn't

12. Member
    I think boats like the Allison, Bullet, and Ballistic were reviewed by popular request even though he never had any intention of buying one in the first place. Was all clickbait.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Law View Post
    A few thoughts on Ken,

He is coming out of a lead sled but wants lead sled sized decks and speed. His assessments have been all over the place, even with the Ranger there was a two point difference in the trailer score between and L and C boat from what I remember. His Top three were the Lynx, Phoenix and Blazer. He roasted Ballistic because they don't make enough boats, yet Blazer who made 48 total in 2020 was a top three boat? He also gave high praise to Bullet for their performance numbers, yet couldn't figure out how to drive the Ballistic and was in a boat that hadn't been dialed in yet. He took Phoenix out of the running because too many people have them, odd for a guy that was running a Ranger for many years. What does he ultimately land on? A Basscat Lynx??? I don't even remember him driving that boat, the owner seemed to be the one driving it. The third video of the Basscat Review was 39 minutes, Allison got one video and 21 minutes.

I've known people at Basscat and they make a solid boat, but they aren't always easy to drive. Not sure how well Ken will drive the boat as well, I think this whole series was somewhat skewed by his predetermined desires, I suspected the Lynx would win after his videos for it. He thinks he has a rocket when at least four other boats tested are legitimate 4-10 mph faster boats. When he gets all his crap in that Lynx, another dude, full tanks and livewells he is gonna see 72mph if he is lucky and can drive it. As far as his video go, don't get to influenced by an old man that has never driven a performance hull to its capability.
    This !!
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Law View Post
    A few thoughts on Ken,

Perfectly stated. I think he gave the Ballistic a top speed of 76 or something. Slower than the Blazer even, lol. I fell out of my chair laughing watching the guy drive it.

15. BBC SPONSOR
    The review was a complete joke....he was pulling $h!t out of his @$$.....plastic???? Come on now!

The DEALER should have done some brand education before the camera ever started rolling
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite
    2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

https://youtu.be/FOnAGNWOgZ0

16. Member
    Own One or Follow One!

17. Member
    Fyi, part 2 is up now with one to go.

Can Ken ride a bicycle? J/K These boats aren't for everyone, I will be the first to admit. The top three fastest he tested have to be driven, that's why they are the fastest among the rest. He needs a point and shoot boat that rides pretty wet, without a steep deadrise leading to the pad and thats what he got.