Surge Brakes Locking in Reverse

My trailer is less than a year old. When I back up, the surge brakes lock. I have reverse lights and voltage all the way to the solenoid. Does this sound like a failed solenoid?

2. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgthagins View Post
    My trailer is less than a year old. When I back up, the surge brakes lock. I have reverse lights and voltage all the way to the solenoid. Does this sound like a failed solenoid?
    Could be, but in my experience, a failed solenoid is very rare. Fluid level is good?
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

3. Member
    Yes sir. Almost to the top.

4. Member
    If you are using a 7 pin plug, and have a 5 pin available on your tow vehicle, there is a work around to quickly determine if a fuse is the problem. In the tongue of the trailer there is usually a 5 pin plug that plugs into a 7 pin adapter whip. Unplug the whip and pull the 5 pin out of the tongue to the tow vehicle. Flip it upside down so the four female ports are on the four male poles on the tow vehicle end. The male pole of the trailer line will be left unused. Turn your lights on the tow vehicle to the on position, not auto. This will send power to the trailer and override the surge brakes. If this works you know you have a fuse issue on the tow vehicle.

Here is another tip I saw from BBC board
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....=1#post9699931
    2020 Vexus AVX2080
    HDS 9 Lives

5. Member
    Ok, thanks KP. I'll give that a ry. I do have the 7 pin and it's attached to a 5 pin in the trailer tongue. I appreciate it!

6. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Failed solenoid or the solenoid has a bad ground. There is generally a screw for a ground wire on the solenoid body.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgthagins View Post
    Ok, thanks KP. I'll give that a ry. I do have the 7 pin and it's attached to a 5 pin in the trailer tongue. I appreciate it!
    Let us know what you find out....

Ken
    2020 Vexus AVX2080
    HDS 9 Lives

8. Member
    Weak ground.