Caymas CX20 Speed and RPM Question - Setup Help

My first post here but have been reading a long for a while now.

I have a 2021 Caymas CX20 w/ Mercury Pro XS 4 Stroke on a Z Lock Manual Jack Plate all factory set with a Fury 3B 24P Prop.

I run a pretty heavy load but have weight balanced it well. I have dual Minn Kota Raptors and dual stacked mounted graphs at bow with full tourney load. Run 50% fuel most of the time and 2 people a lot.

I am seeing on here and hearing of guys getting Mid 70's and up out of this rig, I'm not overly concerned with speed but don't like having a brand new boat that I have never passed 72 MPH with. I noticed the other day at WOT I was only turning 5600 RPM's.

Question is what should I be trying to gain RPM's and speed? I am reading about lots of different props with this setup but from the ones running the Fury 24 with my same type setup I am still 3-4MPH off of what they are seeing regularly.

Any suggestions, I am all ears. Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    My setup is identical to yours except I don't have Raptors. Shouldn't scrub 4 MPH though.

Your RPMs are definitely low. What is your PTP height? (Embarrassed to admit I've never measured mine on this boat, but it has always "felt" correct where it's at).

FWIW, my motor is about 3-1/16" up on my jack. Hard to tell from the angle but that's the actual measurement on tape.

Jack.jpg

3. Member
    I can’t help but just wanted to compliment your purdy new ride, very sharp
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

4. Member
    Thanks DMart, I haven't had a good way to measure my P2P height (need to get a yard stick I guess) but my jack plate setting looks very similar to yours, I can measure when I get back home. Here are some pics I had on my phone though...

Jack Plate 1.jpgJack Plate 2.jpg

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by XingEyeballs View Post
    I can’t help but just wanted to compliment your purdy new ride, very sharp
    Thanks bud!

6. Member
    10TEN - Could be the photo but yours appears lower. Lower motor = lower prop RPMs. Would make sense..

7. Member
    Set your plate at 3 inches below the pad and give her a try, you may have to go to 3 1/4 or so but start at 3, i think you will see a difference.

I don't have poles and i do run lithium's but i have so far got the best at 3 below the pad on my CX 20 with out using full trim.

8. Member
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

9. Banned
    CX20 and CX21 need Hydraulic Jack-Plate unless you absolutely find that sweet spot and never touch it again. @10TEN message me if you are still having this issue.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 10TEN View Post
    My first post here but have been reading a long for a while now.

I have a 2021 Caymas CX20 w/ Mercury Pro XS 4 Stroke on a Z Lock Manual Jack Plate all factory set with a Fury 3B 24P Prop.

I run a pretty heavy load but have weight balanced it well. I have dual Minn Kota Raptors and dual stacked mounted graphs at bow with full tourney load. Run 50% fuel most of the time and 2 people a lot.

I am seeing on here and hearing of guys getting Mid 70's and up out of this rig, I'm not overly concerned with speed but don't like having a brand new boat that I have never passed 72 MPH with. I noticed the other day at WOT I was only turning 5600 RPM's.

Question is what should I be trying to gain RPM's and speed? I am reading about lots of different props with this setup but from the ones running the Fury 24 with my same type setup I am still 3-4MPH off of what they are seeing regularly.

Any suggestions, I am all ears. Thanks!
    Pm sent!!!