Half a tank
    One livewell full
    Moderate/Light Tackle
    Me

6000 RPM
    71MPH GPS
    Light Headwind
    16% Prop Slip

Seems like 16% is a bit high for this setup and ideally would like it see it get up to 75-76mph (10-11%). The prop has a couple small dings, I'm sure this is contributing something to the problem but doubtful that it is the entire issue. Any thoughts?

2. Banned
    confirm your tach readings

3. Member
    What's your prop to pad now the way your running and how much set back do you have. It should be 2.5" under pad with at least an 8" plate. The dings don't help and if that 26 tempest has never been worked that's another problem. The older 26 tempest were not very good out of the box and need some work to run right.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mdtritn21 View Post
    What's your prop to pad now the way your running and how much set back do you have. It should be 2.5" under pad with at least an 8" plate. The dings don't help and if that 26 tempest has never been worked that's another problem. The older 26 tempest were not very good out of the box and need some work to run right.
    Exactly 2.5" under pad. I don't know about the history on the prop but assume it was relatively new because the original owner replaced the lower unit.

I have a 6in plate. Prefer to leave it as is as it is already a tight fit in my garage.

I've compared my tach to the merc monitor before and they were the same although I'll admit I had engine temp up when I made that run

Quote Originally Posted by outsidesmoke View Post
    Exactly 2.5" under pad. I don't know about the history on the prop but assume it was relatively new because the original owner replaced the lower unit.
    This makes me question if it's a non OEM LU...

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 21XDC View Post
    This makes me question if it's a non OEM LU...
    Doubtful, I don't see anything on the LU that would indicate it isn't OEM and work was done by Nixon's Marine which has a very good reputation around here.

To add a few more details. On this particular run I was really focused on minimizing chine walk.

I slowly worked up the trim until she was running at 6k and it was no hands straight as an arrow. Just the way the waves felt on the pad (more at my feet than under the seat), I could tell she could have taken a smidge more trim to break it loose. I was already at 6k I didn't want to over rev the engine.

So the question is, would that extra bit of trim getting the bow up actually increase RPMs or would the added efficiency from a bit more bow life increase the speed of the boat without over revving the engine.

7. Member
    If you were not getting the over rev alarm give it more trim. The max rpm's on that motor vary with the load put on the motor. Most guys run them at 6100 but I would get the prop repaired.

8. Member
    To answer your question, all boats/setups are a little different but generally more trim = more bow lift = less boat (friction) in the water = more RPMs and speed.

I prefer to prop just a tad under the Limiter when running light than over.

I'd send the prop off to Mark Croxton stating your goals for the prop. Fill out the work order shown at the top of the page and include all the current info on ptp setting, RPMs, WOT speed, motor type, boat type, etc.

Try a 25 Fury ran 1/2 deeper, will have a better hole shot and maybe 1-2 mph faster. The have Mark rework the Fury. Would expect 74 to 75 at about 6000 at low elevations. After it is reworked it will run at the same heights as a tempest and faster
    Thank You Leon Pugh

10. Member
    Run it again and see if it loses speed as you trim up to max trim or if it's throwing a rooster tail when running.

I think he is to high on the motor for his setup and prop or maybe it is not truly a 26 pitch, have Mark check it out
    Thank You Leon Pugh

You need an inch less pitch.