Banned

Minn Kota Terrova 80lb power issue

I have a 2016 min Kota terrova with the ipilot link head added. A couple weeks ago I was trolling on high which I rarely do and my trolling motor stopped working. I thought I had tripped a breaker or blown a fuse. I didn’t mess with it at the time because it was at the end of the day and getting dark so I just went in. My adaptor plug was a little loose and in need of replacement and has been for sometime so I changed that over the weekend. But before doing that I checked the battery light and it was working again from the occurrence the other day. I changed the plug in any ways. I did check the fuses and they were all in tact. Yesterday I went to the lake and a storm blew up and I had to kick the trolling motor up to 8 to get out of the wind and it cut off again. It proceeded to do this 2 more times throughout the day. I would pull it up out of the water and let it sit for a couple minutes then it would work again. It’s almost as if it is overheating or something. Any thoughts on the issue?

2. Member
    on Lake Hartwell in Westminster, SC 29693
    check main power all the way back to battery; possible bad connection that lets go w/amperage draw

3. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Take a look at your breaker and see if it is auto-resetting.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    +1. Wasn't a fan of those little cube breakers.
    Fish have fins, they swim

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    I have looked everywhere for a breaker and cannot find one because I thought initially that is what it had. There are 4 fuses, 2 on each wire to the battery. Those are all intact. Now I’m not a mechanic but the breaker is nowhere to be found.

6. Member
    s-l300.jpg

Is there something like this in the wiring?

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ-Rohlf View Post
    s-l300.jpg

I will have to check and see. Would that be just in the wiring itself or attached to the battery?

8. Member
    that's what is inline with the wiring. I am wondering if this what it is that you are thinking is a fuse. I don't see why a fuse would be in there.

It sounds more like a breaker is tripping and has auto reset with what you describe. These little cube breakers will auto reset after a while while other ones require a manual reset.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ-Rohlf View Post
    s-l300.jpg

If you find one ore 2 like that toss and go buy a good reliable 60 amp resettable breaker. See below.
    Make sure you turn that breaker off when charging the batteries too. Chargers are know to create problems with I-Pilot troll motors.

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Syst...33390118&psc=1

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradrodfish View Post
    If you find one ore 2 like that toss and go buy a good reliable 60 amp resettable breaker. See below.
    Make sure you turn that breaker off when charging the batteries too. Chargers are know to create problems with I-Pilot troll motors.

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Syst...33390118&psc=1
    I did indeed find one. Thank you so much for the information. I will change it

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kb_rn View Post
    I did indeed find one. Thank you so much for the information. I will change it
    Install one of those blue seas on the hot wire to the TM and call it a day. Like Brad said, make sure to hit that when you charge so your TM is disconnected from the circuit