Help with new boat with new Solix 10s

Hello… I just replaced my old Champion with a 2013 ranger 521. Have had the boat out 4 times and love everything about the boat except this issue with my bow fish finder.

The boat came with brand new Solix 10 G2s. The original owner who I spoke to said he removed his two Humminbird finders and the dealer who I bought the boat from then must have had some new Solix 10 G2s in stock as that’s what’s on it now. They still have the original protection film on the screens.

Unfortunately I am terrible when it comes to boat electronics, fish finder tech etc. After watching many you tube videos, reading online etc. I thought Id give this forum a try and beg for help. Even willing to pay someone if need be.

Bow = Solix 10 MDI+ G2
    Console = Solix 10 MSI+ G2
    Trolling motor if it matters = Minn Kota Ultrex I pilot.

Problem:

1. The biggest problem is that my front finder doesn’t show depth. It just has a blank line where depth should be. The 2D sonar doesn’t work either (just black screen no bottom). Basically the only thing that works is the GPS. The console finder seems to work fine just not the front.

Questions:

1. These two finders are linked via a network hub which I assume is standard. But is there an order as to which one is turned on first and a period of time to wait? Ive noticed they behave differently when one is turned on before the other vs. at the same time. For example usually my bow finder doesn’t have any view options except 2D sonar and map (chart?) unless its the only one turned on. The bow also doesn’t show a trolling motor control like the one at the console. When they are both turned on I get a Network Sync message that comes up. When I try to sync it won’t let me (possibly because the software version isn’t the same?).

2. Perhaps my settings aren’t set correctly on the bow unit and thats why its not working? There is a transducer that appears to be connected as I’ve traced the cable from the transducer to the unit. Maybe someone can tell me what settings I should have set for CHIRP, Chart, Nav, Network etc.? Maybe try copying settings from someone else?

3. As mentioned above the units have different software versions. The console one (MSI) is running 3.640 and the bow one (MDI) is running 3.420. I assume these need to be updated? I attempted a few times to download the new version to my laptop but had problems each time. I use a Mac - does that need to be done on a PC? Its my understanding that V 3.500 or higher is required to update to 3.980 so is that included in the update?

Big Thanks in advance for anyone willing to help me - would really appreciate it.

I don’t want to sound crass

But being that you are as you say “terrible when it comes to boat electronics”

And the fact that it sounds like you have a few issues going on I suggest you talk to the dealership and see if they will do this for you

The Solix is not the easiest graphs to setup compared to others and not to mention the current HB updates are a roll of the dice right now it would be better to have someone that has done this before do it for you

But to answer some of your questions

Yes both units need to have the same version of software

I use PC but I have heard that some have managed to get a mac to do the downloads but a PC is the preferred method

Yes the current update has both 3.500 and 3.980 once you do 3.500 then it will let you do 3.980

If the trolling motor is an I-Pilot “LINK” then yes you should have a switch/hub but you need to verify that the trolling motor is a “LINK” model and that a switch/hub is installed and both graphs and trolling motor are connected to it

Yes some say the order you turn them on can affect them most people sync the bow unit to the console units network since it is usually the first unit you turn on

Note: you should always turn on the switch/hub before starting any of the graphs
    "The handicapped angler"

3. Member
    @MichAngler

Not crass... I don't disagree with the suggestion of going to the dealership. Issues with that are they are extremely busy and getting to my boat will take weeks so Im looking for a quicker fix. My thinking also is if I have others do it for me Ill not understand the Solix finders and set up near as well as if I do it myself (with help).

Since posting earlier, Ive updated both units to 3.980 and the network has been configured successfully. I also updated the I-Pilot link TM so everything should be up to date.

Now the bow finder will show depth when both units are on - assuming its taking readings from the transducer on the back of the boat. When just the front is on it gives me an error of no transducer. Maybe I need to manually select it? I haven't tried calling Humminbird tech line yet - so maybe thats the best direction to get things set up correctly.

4. Member
    @MichAngler

Not crass... I don't disagree with the suggestion of going to the dealership. Issue with that is that they are extremely busy and getting to my boat will take weeks so Im looking for a quicker fix. My thinking also is if I have others do it for me Ill not understand the Solix finders and set up near as well as if I do it myself (with help).

Since posting earlier, Ive updated both units to 3.980 and the network has been configured successfully. I also updated the I-Pilot link TM so everything should be up to date.

Now the bow finder will show depth when both units are on - assuming its taking readings from the transducer on the back of the boat. When just the bow unit is on it gives me an error of no transducer. Maybe I need to manually select it? I haven't tried calling Humminbird tech line yet - so maybe thats the best direction to get things set up correctly.

You select what unit as the source to provide the sonar data in the Settings/CHIRP Sonar/Sonar Source Select.
    The selected one has the orange bullseye.
    You do that for each sonar technology.
    Evidently you have the console unit as the source for 2D sonar in the bow unit's menu.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Quote Originally Posted by PWRWAGN View Post
    @MichAngler

Not crass... I don't disagree with the suggestion of going to the dealership. Issues with that are they are extremely busy and getting to my boat will take weeks so Im looking for a quicker fix. My thinking also is if I have others do it for me Ill not understand the Solix finders and set up near as well as if I do it myself (with help).

Now the bow finder will show depth when both units are on - assuming its taking readings from the transducer on the back of the boat. When just the front is on it gives me an error of no transducer. Maybe I need to manually select it? I haven't tried calling Humminbird tech line yet - so maybe thats the best direction to get things set up correctly.
    Outstanding sounds like you are better with boat electronics than you thought

Follow Wayne's instructions and you should be well on your way to getting out on the water

PS welcome to the huminnbird family
    "The handicapped angler"

8. Member
    Thanks for the input Wayne.

I did go to the sonar source select and select the transducer on the trolling motor (I think - see attached photo for bow unit).

My console unit uses the other transducer apparantly. When I have both finders on, the bow finder still wants to use the console finder's transducer as it shows depth etc. the same as on the console unit. When I turn off the console unit the bow unit comes up and says no transducer source. Still don't get a depth or anything showing up on my 2D sonar. Could it be because its in my garage and not in the water with my trolling motor down? Or something wrong with my transducer or more user error?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by PWRWAGN View Post
    Thanks for the input Wayne.

I did go to the sonar source select and select the transducer on the trolling motor (I think - see attached photo for bow unit).

My console unit uses the other transducer apparantly. When I have both finders on, the bow finder still wants to use the console finder's transducer as it shows depth etc. the same as on the console unit. When I turn off the console unit the bow unit comes up and says no transducer source. Still don't get a depth or anything showing up on my 2D sonar. Could it be because its in my garage and not in the water with my trolling motor down? Or something wrong with my transducer or more user error?
    You selected the DI+ unit as the source for Sonar in the DI+ unit's menu. The unit selects the transducer that is connected to it (Auto Configure).

You can do the network setup anywhere.
    iPilot/iPilot LINK is turned off when the trolling motor is stowed. That has no effect on the sonar transducer=two different functions.
    The unit should not get sonar data from another unit unless you make it happen.

Do a Restore Factory Defaults and swap the Ethernet connections.

What does the unit show in that menu when the SI+ unit is operating?
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL