SHO HELP!! Looking at boat with a sho

Ok looking at a 2010 ranger tomorrow

He says its a 2017 sho powerhead, not sure if that means it was replaced or rebuilt in 2017? Hes not much for phones it seems, lol, he answers but slow,he just said come look at it and take ot out and run it lol, which makes me feel good since he wants me to run it.

Anyway yall give me some pointers please
    What should i be looking for other than the obvious,?
    I was told check oil before and after the run, so i plane to do that, is the oil tank easy to acces?

Just looking for anything yall can help with as far as what to watch out for, anything!!!

Thanks fellas

2. Member
    It's a 4 stroke, there is no oil tank. SHO's are known to 'make oil' if they're not broken in properly, which is most likely why you were told to check the oil. If the rings don't get set during break in, gas gets by and ends up in the oil. Dipstick is on the starboard side of the engine and easily accessible once the cowling is removed.

3. Member
    When you check the oil, there are 2 holes in the dipstick. Oil is considered normal to be between these 2 holes. Anything above and the engine probably is making oil and the rings are not yet set. Surely with it being a 2017, it is past that. Checking before and after won't matter, just check before. It is critical to have the engine level when checking. Take a level with you and, after removing the cowl, place the level on the flat part of the engine and make sure it is 100% level, then check the oil. If the engine was new on the boat when purchased, the powerhead may had been replaced, as the first couple of years, Yamaha had issues and replaced a lot of powerhead prior to failure. I would say you can take the serial number of the engine and determine why it was replaced. I assume it's a Z520 Ranger, if so, high 60's, maybe 70 is about all it will do. RPM limit is 6200, but I doubt it is propped for that level, somewhere between 5500 and 5900 is a good number. Good luck.

4. Member
    No its on a 2010 ranger z522 comanche
    I was told low 60s and while i am still learning im not expert so faster than 65 im nervous anyway lol.

And i know its a 4 stroke but by oil tank i mean pan/tank whatever on quads and dirtbikes its still callednoil tank lol

5. Member
    522 is a barge, a HUGE boat. Low 60's is about it.
    I am not familiar enough with quads and dirt bikes to know what a pan/tank is.
    But yes, it's a 4 stroke (like a truck) an no oil tank to fill up and burn like an older 2 stroke engine on an outboard or a dirt bike.

6. Member
    Yeah i know what a 4 stroke is
    But there still has to be a oil tank,pan,etc for oil

7. Member
    It's at the base of the engine, with the dipstick for checking on the side.
    You can change the oil through it by sucking the oil out, though most people drain out the bottom.

8. Member
    Ok the guy lied but he didnt lol
    It does have a newer power head, but it is a 2015 not a 2017
    So its 6 years old. Vs 4