Z20 Battery Configuration: Wanting 5 batteries; Who has done this?

Have an O8 Z20 with 225 Evinrude ETEC HO. Running 36v Ghost Motor so 3 batteries for it, and Starting Battery, and plan to add a "house" battery. Where are you guys locating the House Battery? Considering sacrificing part of the compartment behind the driver's seat for a LiPO4 house battery because I don't know where else to put it...open to ideas.
    I have my oil tank next to the starting battery and would consider moving it if that isn't a problem? I removed the 4 bank Dual Pro that came from the factory and installed a Stealth 1 charger where the dual pro had been mounted by the factory. Thanks in advance for your ideas.
    ciao,
    Marc

2. Member
    Not sure if this helps or not. I have a Z 19 and have recently replaced the 3 wet cells with 3 50 ah lithiums. I was able to fit all 3 lithiums in the port side battery compartment. Ended up freeing up the space where my 3rd wet cell use to be in the rear/middle compartment. May help give you some space if you are planning to change to lithiums at some point.
    2007 Ranger Z19 - 225 Pro XS

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by POPPAB View Post
    Not sure if this helps or not. I have a Z 19 and have recently replaced the 3 wet cells with 3 50 ah lithiums. I was able to fit all 3 lithiums in the port side battery compartment. Ended up freeing up the space where my 3rd wet cell use to be in the rear/middle compartment. May help give you some space if you are planning to change to lithiums at some point.
    I already ordered 3 100 aH LiPO4 batteries for my Ghost 36v. I also ordered a 100 aH LiPO4 starting battery. Planning to keep my Sears Platinum 1 AGM starter as well. Thank you for the reply.
    ciao,
    Marc

4. Member
    not sure if the back is the same in a z21 07. I have one agm and oil tank port side, two 31s in the middle and two 31s in the starboard. Weighs a tonne, but I love my electronics :)

I’m running three 100ah and one 125ah Ionic lithiums with a group 31 Odyssey PC2150 AGM. It was a little tight and had to reposition the oil reservoir 90 degrees, but everything fit in nicely in my Z20. I also removed the Dual Pro charger to get the oil reservoir in with the third 100ah Ionic battery. I bought the Ionic 4 bank charger and installed it on the shelf in the port rear corner. I charge the Odyssey with a portable Odyssey 12 amp charger. I’m happy with my set up after I cleaned up wiring.

73-FF2629-11-F3-4-FDD-B17-B-846-F9-D64-FBCA.jpg
    Last edited by Sirius Rich; 05-13-2021 at 09:22 PM. Reason: Correction.
    ‘22 Ranger Z520R - Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Humminbird/Minn Kota One Boat Network

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Rich View Post
    I’m running three 100ah and one 125ah Ionic lithiums with a group 31 Odyssey PC2150 AGM. It was a little tight and had to reposition the oil reservoir 90 degrees, but everything fit in nicely in my Z20. I also removed the Dual Pro charger to get the oil reservoir in with the 125ah battery. I bought the Ionic 4 bank charger and installed it on the shelf in the port rear corner. I charge the Odyssey with a portable Odyssey 12 amp charger. I’m happy with my set up after I cleaned up wiring.

73-FF2629-11-F3-4-FDD-B17-B-846-F9-D64-FBCA.jpg
    So it will work with my Z20, but don't understand what you did with your oil tank. Is it basically in the same spot? Don't see it in your photo, and your 125 amp Ionic looks to be in the same place.
    ciao,
    Marc

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Marcantonio View Post
    So it will work with my Z20, but don't understand what you did with your oil tank. Is it basically in the same spot? Don't see it in your photo, and your 125 amp Ionic looks to be in the same place.
    I don’t think Ranger changed the battery compartment configuration from ‘06 to ‘08. You can see my oil reservoir if you zoom in on the picture. Look between battery 2 and battery 3 and you can see the reservoir handle and the top. Battery 1 is at the top of the pic and Ionic battery 4 is next to the AGM at the bottom. With the Dual Pro removed, I just turned the oil reservoir 90 degrees so it and Ionic #3 could fit on the shelf where the oil reservoir originally was just turned 90 degrees.

Yes, the oil reservoir and the 125ah occupy the same original factory spots. My configuration should work fine in your Z20.
    Last edited by Sirius Rich; 05-13-2021 at 10:00 PM.
    ‘22 Ranger Z520R - Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Humminbird/Minn Kota One Boat Network

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Rich View Post
    I don’t think Ranger changed the battery compartment configuration from ‘06 to ‘08. You can see my oil reservoir if you zoom in on the picture. Look between battery 2 and battery 3 and you can see the reservoir handle and the top. Battery 1 is at the top of the pic and Ionic battery 4 is next to the AGM at the bottom. With the Dual Pro removed, I just turned the oil reservoir 90 degrees so it and Ionic #3 could fit on the shelf where the oil reservoir originally was just turned 90 degrees.

Yes, the oil reservoir and the 125ah occupy the same original factory spots. My configuration should work fine in your Z20.
    Yes, I was looking in the wrong place in your pictures. Apparently the factory did change the location of the oil tank in my 08 Z20. Mine is right next to the starting battery. I will have to see if I can move it to where yours is located. Thank you for the help.
    Last edited by Marc Marcantonio; 05-14-2021 at 01:11 AM.
    ciao,
    Marc

9. Member
    2021 520L running 3, 100aH Relions on Ghost & 2 100 aH High Output Relions in parallel on Merc 4S w/ Power Pole Charge system. No issues, in unbelievable power.