Bought my first Daiwa today......

And I think I'm taking it back tomorrow, it's a Tatula SV TW 103HS. Preface: I own nothing but Shimano from Curado Bantam Super Free, Curado Es, Curado Ks, Chronarch Es, Chronarch Ci4s, Ci4 MGLs, Calais, Antares, Bantam MGLs, Aldebaran MGLs, current and previous Metaniums, etc. I've never owned a reel that wasn't Shimano except for an Ambassador back in grade school. I've been wanting to test the Daiwa waters with the new Zillion but went in a bait store today that had this reel in stock. The owner wanted to give me one in an unopened box instead of the one on display. He pulled out the "new one" and I had to explain to him that even though the nomenclature was the same the one you are trying to sell me is older because of the colored cast knob and handle plate which denotes gear ratio. I even showed that to him on his other displays. I know little about Daiwa but enough to "educate" him although I don't think he believed me. Either way the reel, newest version, felt good in the hand so I bought it but after getting it home certain components feel cheap and I don't like the position of the spool tension knob so I'm thinking of returning it. Should I give it a shot? Those with this reel that have Shimano convince me. Or should I just return it and get a Zillion like I had planned. Who knows I may spool this thing up and think it's the best reel ever. Oh and they didn't have a Tatula Elite which I initially would have settled for other than a Zillion but out of impulse bought this one.
    Last edited by Cestratton; 05-10-2021 at 10:36 PM.

2. Member
    I had a Tatula Coastal...for all of one time out on the water for less than an hour...sold it quick and have away a Pompadour to sweeten the deal. I have owned literally dozens of Daiwas and Shimanos, and to a lesser extent, Abu.

Color me not impressed with the Tatula lineup of any Generation, as I did the same with the Gen I Tat and Gen II Zillion.

FWIW, still rockin' many OG Daiwas going back to my first BC from circa 1986 in the Procaster HT 1000.

Good luck with your decision.

3. Member
    I was in the same boat as you. I have only owned Shimano for 25 years plus now. I would buy the occasional Bass pro special rod and reel as a beater. I recently bought the new Zillion and I'm very impressed with it. I actually went and bought another one in a lower gear ratio to crank with. I don't own a Tatula SV but I did end buying my third Daiwa which was a Tatula Elite. I bought it from what I had read about the casting distance. I do like the reel but I can tell that it's not as refined as the Zillion. I could tell right after the first cast and retrieve that the Zillion was a better built reel. The elite does cast effortless though. Good Luck!!!

4. Member
    I also didn't care for the newest version of the Tatula SV's...the 2017 version has been great for me though..currently have 10 in my rotation..with that being said the Zillion SV is definitely a step up from the Tatula..my advice is return it and get the Zillion..you will not be disappointed.

5. Member
    I have over 20 Shimano reels in a similar range lineup to you. With that being said I also have 3 Tatulas. They feel different, bulkier perhaps, but they are great reels. Internally they are built well and are really simple to use. I almost bought a new Tatula Elite but decided to hold off. They are much lighter/sleeker profile than the regular Tatulas which I’m sure you know. What techniques are you planning on using with this one?

6. Member
    The only Tatula I will buy is the elite

7. Member
    I am just like you. A few years ago I branched out and got a zillion HD custom 9.1 from the tackle trap. It was sweet reel, but it was also almost $400. It was just too big for my hands, and it didn't palm well, so I sold it. Last fall, I got the itch for a new reel and I ended up with a 2020 Tatula SV TW 103, and I just can't get this thing right. The breaks are either too lose, or too tight and the casting distance sucks, no matter what I throw on it.

I was a Shimano guy, started buying the SV. Its a good reel, I like the size casts well. I prefer the 2017 over the new version I have (the unadjustable spool tension) Two things on them I do not like, the position of the mag dial, its right where I Palm, and at times will move. and the anti reverse is sloppy compared to Shimano, there is a little back play. I have 9 2017 and 1 2020 in total, so they have been a good reel and kept buying them.

9. Member
    Update: I ordered the new 20 Zillion SV TW from Digitaka and I'm going to return the Tatula this evening.

10. Banned
    You will enjoy the zillion much more than the tat. I did (do).

11. Member
    You own mainly mid to high end Shimanos. You bought a budget Daiwa reel which is a bang for your buck reel not a refined or distance caster like many of the Shimanos. A new Zillion or Steez variant would be something that would suit you better

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kickerfish1 View Post
    You own mainly mid to high end Shimanos. You bought a budget Daiwa reel which is a bang for your buck reel not a refined or distance caster like many of the Shimanos. A new Zillion or Steez variant would be something that would suit you better
    Just ordered the new Zillion SV TW 1000H from Digitaka, I'm returning the Tatula today.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basscat21 View Post
    I was a Shimano guy, started buying the SV. Its a good reel, I like the size casts well. I prefer the 2017 over the new version I have (the unadjustable spool tension) Two things on them I do not like, the position of the mag dial, its right where I Palm, and at times will move. and the anti reverse is sloppy compared to Shimano, there is a little back play. I have 9 2017 and 1 2020 in total, so they have been a good reel and kept buying them.
    That's weird and not common at all...Daiwa's IAR has always been known to be more solid and instantaneous than Shimano's, even the handle play laterally in Daiwas are more minimal (least the ones I own since IAR was intro'd to the FW market by Daiwa). Shimano's IAR is known to be more robust against hard running fish, hard hooksets, use under heavy drag settings, or for those that like to break off 50lb braid by pulling back against the reel/spool to break off snags, SMH/LMAO.
    Last edited by dragon1; 05-11-2021 at 07:50 PM. Reason: grammar and font size

14. Member
    Man, ordered the Zillion SV TW 1000H from Digitaka Tuesday night, they were closed for a holiday, it showed up today!! Needless to say I think this was the right reel to get my feet wet with Daiwa just playing with it here at the office it seems niece and is very smooth.

15. Member
    That new Zillion is extremely good. I can't see anyone using one and not liking it. The thing is just effortless to use, and is stupid smooth even under a load.

I'm still fishing my old school Zillions. Got a striper with one yesterday. Great reels, solid and last forever. Wish they were still making the old version.

May14stripe.jpg

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Quillback View Post
    I'm still fishing my old school Zillions. Got a striper with one yesterday. Great reels, solid and last forever. Wish they were still making the old version.

May14stripe.jpg
    Friggin' SCHUUUWEEET!!!

My OG Zillion PE 6.3:1 is permanently glued to my Evergreen Heracles EG Swimmer and is magic with 3/8 Buddha Baits Pop Fires up to 1 oz Buzzjets...and is perfect with braid + leader.
    Last edited by dragon1; 05-15-2021 at 09:38 PM. Reason: Font size correction for consistency

18. Member
    Because of the sporadic rain every evening I went to Table Rock yesterday and today after work and made some casts off the bank and I must say this Zillion is a sweet reel!! I don't have a dedicated rod for it yet so I took a reel off of a 853 GLX to try it out, think I'm going to look into a Megabass P5 for this one. I have another Metanium coming this week that I'll probably pair with a NRX+.

Running almost all Tatula's this year...no complaints. I was on the Shimano train for a few years before switching over to Daiwa and I just found Daiwa to be more refined on their braking system. It's nice to be able to pick up every rod in my line up and get the same casting performance.