Another Round with Lowrance

New poster here, looking for advice from this esteemed and knowledgeable group. I'm neck deep in a full boat restoration, and decided the trusty old LMS-332c just wasn't going to cut it on the new ride. I jumped in the deep end and on a whim bought a craigslist Livesight for open water smallmouth and ocean striper fishing. I ordered an Elite FS 9, 3 in 1, trying to save a few bucks trusting that Lowrance said it would support Livesight and Active Target. Well in doing more research, I found out I need a FSI-1 module. That also was ordered. Then in some obscure forum post, I found out that I need a Sonar Hub for multiple transducer hook up and views. Nowhere in any of the Lowrance literature does it mention the need for the hub. Pissed that a unit that is supposed to support this technology can only do so with another $800 in accessories, I ponied up and ordered a HDS 9 Live figuring I'd return the FS9 and sell or trade the FSI-1 module. Well low and behold the FS9 showed up today. She got placed next to the old LMS and like an unannounced puppy the kids bring home, I'm still pissed but a little giddy nonetheless. I think I can train it to hunt ducks . I need two units like a kick in the teeth, but the wheels are spinning. My question is, can I network the FS9 to the HDS 9 Live and have full functionality of the Livesight on both units without the need for the FSI-1?

Thanks in advance for your help! If I missed any kind of initiation post, please let me know and I'll bring the goods.

Cheers.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIMPLIFLY View Post
    My question is, can I network the FS9 to the HDS 9 Live and have full functionality of the Livesight on both units without the need for the FSI-1?

Cheers.
    Welcome to the forum. :)
    Yes, you can network your FS to HDS Live, and have very good results to. HDS has to ethernetports from 9 and up and supports LiveSight without a module, so basicly adding one will cure all your issues (perhaps not the drained wallet...)

This might be worth a read: https://teamcolibri.blogspot.com/202...rance-hds.html

3. Member
    Understand that Lowrance manufactures the HDS line of units for those anglers who want and need the functionality of networking multiple units, and want to use multiple transducers. HDS units have the processing power and speed to handle multiple simultaneous functions. They also have a much more expensive screen that allows easy viewing in bright sunlight, and while wearing polarized sunglasses. These expensive features represent the top of the line quality. This is their version of "best" in the "good, better, best" model.

The Elite FS line was specifically developed for those boaters who do not need all the power and features of the HDS series, and therefor do not need to pay the added expense for features they do not need. They are favored by those who don't need to network multiple units and don't plan to run multiple transducers for different applications. Consequently their screen (although very good) does not have the viewing quality with sunglasses and bright sun that the much more expensive HDS series screen has. This is the "better" version in the "good, better, best" model. The Hook series is the "good" version in the model.

A close comparison of the features in each line-up should be done by those considering which is best for their fishing and boating situation. Most bass anglers use the HDS series due to using multiple units and transducers, though the Elite FS series are quite good. Hope this explanation helps.
    ciao,
    Marc

4. Member
    well said Marc
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

5. Member
    Elite FS was designed to support ActiveTarget and one other transducer and is doing this well, by adding a NEP-2 Ethernet hub several Elite FS units can be networked.

LiveSight is a bit older technology and has a quite special interface, it requires Ethernet, Power over Ethernet and a sonar port to interface. PSI-1 is for Power over Ethernet. HDS Live is the only unit supporting LiveSight directly by supporting all functions in one connector. All other units, including Simrad, needs PSI-1, and if no free sonar port is available a SonarHub is required (to move the other transducer to).

6. Member
    Thanks guys for all the responses and education. I really appreciate it. I'm still on the fence about keeping this, but it is really nice. The HDS Live 9 gets here Thursday and a decision has to be made. Ive got a camp boat as well, that needs a new finder and I'll have two transducers, so may become a travel unit, albeit an expensive one. Again, many thanks!