Thread: One year old

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

One year old

Well, Just past the 1 year mark with the new 210. I would say overall that I have been very happy with my choice. I had a 496 and a 186 before this and have always loved Chargers, so it was a tough decision to switch to the elite series. The 210 is a big boat and rides great, but so did my 496. 2 totally different boats but both have their strong points. I think the 496 was a little more stable with the trolling motor down, it wasn't effected by the wind as much (although the 210 isn't bad either) and the 496 was easier to get in and out of docks. This may have been due to the fact that it already had some dock rash and now I'm in a new boat!

The 210 seems to ride more on top of the waves and you can run in heavy wind chop/boat wakes at a solid 50-60 MPH and still feel comfortable. The boat is VERY solid. When you hit a wake wrong and just cringe because you know it's going to hurt, the 210 surprises you in a good way. Hard turns are different than I am used to but you can whip the boat around pretty quick, it just leans a lot more than a charger ever did. I only have 55 hours on the motor and I am still learning how to drive it, but I have seen 73mph with both myself and a friend driving it. I honestly think a 496 with the 250 proXS would be a little faster but I could be wrong. The 210 weighs more and that has a lot to do with ride and performance obviously.

The Merc 250 is just simply AWESOME! The fuel consumption is very impressive, it's quiet, and the mid-range torque is incredible! I have never owned a Mercury, but I am a huge fan now.

Now for my Karen moment. The bad part about owning a 210 is everyone has something to say about it and most of the time it's not positive. Charger guys say it's not a Charger and they need to re-work their 496 series - Hell, I've said this too! Champion guys say it's not a Champion. I fished a tournament last weekend and you would not believe some of BS that was coming out of the mouths of these guys! Kelly Power bailed out Charger, Charger was closed for 4 years, Charger filed bankruptcy, Charger went out of business, Charger bought all of the Champion molds (but their not really Champions), they are not champions because the 210 and 198 were made in Tennessee, "I'd never buy one because Charger makes it", they need to make this model, that model and whatever other model, and the kicker was Bass Cat is making the real Champions! I didn't say much, drank my beer and laughed at the stupidity. If you're gonna rip on a guys boat, try to get your facts straight or else you look as dumb as the comments coming out of your mouth! Most guys that have never owned a Charger or Champion seem to have the most positive comments.

1 year old, I had a small leak on the overflow tube that the factory corrected for me while I waited and I had 2 screws come loose - which I was able to fix myself. The fit and finish is more than I expect, the carpeting is well laid and very good quality, the seats are comfortable, the livewells are total overkill, and despite what Ken Smith says, the trailer is awesome!

Ulrich was great to work with! Any time I called or emailed Kyle, he has gotten right back to me and is very helpful. He also just helped me out big time with an extended warranty for the merc! These are good people to work with! And thanks to Charger and Ulrich for putting on the Ultimate Challenge. If it wasn't for this tournament, I would probably still be in my 496.

I am sure I forgot some things and if anyone has any questions, shoot me a PM or ask here. Also, anyone in the St Louis area interested in one of these and wants to go for a spin, give me a holler. I think you will be impressed too.

Mike
    Last edited by wishitwasbigger; 05-10-2021 at 04:41 PM.

Awesome post and group of people at Charger!
    1997 Charger 186 TF
    1997 Yamaha ProV 175

3. Member
    Would love to see some pics!

4. Member
    To hell with the nay sayers! It’s a dam
    nice boat!

5. Member
    Nice write up

6. Member
    People who hate Chargers never have been in one.

7. Member
    I started in a new 181 champ with a 150 EFI in 1996 my first new boat then went to a 191 then a 203 ive always said champion is the best rough water boat I've ever been in now I have well my title name says it all Ranger z521c I'm happy that charger was resurrected from extinction and they saved the champ molds, I think its a great boat 210 and I would be happy to have one anytime thank you for your input and honest opinion keep your head up and don't let the haters phase you or graze you.

8. Member
    210.1.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by jerzia View Post
    Would love to see some pics!

9. Member
    My favorite color!!!!!!!!

I've been up in the air between the 210 and the Legend V20/21 series. Thanks for this write up. You have a beauty of a boat right there.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Big dreams View Post
    I've been up in the air between the 210 and the Legend V20/21 series. Thanks for this write up. You have a beauty of a boat right there.
    Beautiful color scheme!

12. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Feel the need for a reworked dash to carry a bigger screen. Other than that, I really like the 210 I had!!!

Couldn't have said it better!
    I got nothin

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickory Legend View Post
    Feel the need for a reworked dash to carry a bigger screen. Other than that, I really like the 210 I had!!!
    I was looking at this last night Tim, and it really would not be that hard to do with the separate piece of fiberglass that Charger is using. It could be expanded to hold a 12" or maybe even larger with minimal effort IMO. Personally, I have my Garmin 126 Ultra on a Bass Boat Technology mount that is holds it very close to the dash. And the Ultra has the quick release mount that makes it easy to remove and store when not in use. I would rather have the option of changing graphs at any time and not worry about a hole in my dash. Again, my choice.

15. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    My question is on the dash mounts why do you want the electronics hiding all the gauges?Every boat has this problem.I like the way mine is off to the side and still has full view of water psi and tach etc.The new vexus you can’t even start it because of the electronics in the way .I guess you can always go no gauges but that may be more expensive down the road when it fails.

Quote Originally Posted by TOUCH OF CLASS View Post
    My question is on the dash mounts why do you want the electronics hiding all the gauges?Every boat has this problem.I like the way mine is off to the side and still has full view of water psi and tach etc.The new vexus you can’t even start it because of the electronics in the way .I guess you can always go no gauges but that may be more expensive down the road when it fails.
    I'm with you on this. When the graphs are in front there is more bad than good IMO....can't see the gauges, bottom half of screen is useless, less visibility and more crap hanging off the font of the console.
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA
    2004 Ranger 521VX - Yamaha 250 SHO

17. Member
    Good review Mike. Nice boat
    Last edited by chargerbass02; 05-13-2021 at 09:50 PM. Reason: Changed

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TOUCH OF CLASS View Post
    For those that want the big graph.... With a full Nmea network you can utilize the graph to be your gauges when your running.

19. Member
    cool boats

Nice write up Mike! One hell of a nice boat for sure. Let me know when you're back down this way. I'll bring beers, or better yet just stop by!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast