Banned

7 pin defective ?

Recently had a 7 pin to 4 Flat connector install to truck . Tried it with trailer hooked up to truck , blew a fuse . Disconnect the 7 , replaced fuse , reconnected the 5 to 4 Flat to truck , ... lights work . Bad 7 pin connector ?

2. Member
    Sounds like a short in the wiring in your new install. I'm not really following what you have installed/what you did, but I would check for a hot wire touching ground and/or try a different adapter.

On a different note, if you have a 5 flat on your trailer and run to a 4 flat on your truck, you are aware you won't have brake lockout on reverse or working reverse lights correct?

3. Banned
    I do have the 5th wire (blue) connected to backup light wire . Lights on trailer worked when I first received boat . Had a 7 pin connector installed at dealer .

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marky1 View Post
    I do have the 5th wire (blue) connected to backup light wire . Lights on trailer worked when I first received boat . Had a 7 pin connector installed at dealer .
    Ok I see, so you originally had a 4 flat on your truck and the dealer installed a 7 pin? In that case, I assume you have a 5 flat to 7 pin adapter on your trailer? Like below?

5. Banned
    Is it possible for the solinoid (defective)to be the cause of fuse is causing fuse to blow ?

6. Banned
    Yes , that is correct .

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marky1 View Post
    Is it possible for the solinoid (defective)to be the cause of fuse is causing fuse to blow ?
    Very possible. You can isolate the reverse circuit to see of that blows the fuse. Leave the trailer disconnected, put the parking brake on in your truck, turn it to ON (do not start) and shift into Reverse. Your reverse light circuit will be powered at the back of the truck. Jumper a wire between the grounds (bottom left looking at the truck) and another between the reverse (center pin). If the solenoid is the problem, you should blow the fuse again. Jumpers with alligator clips work well for this, if you don't have any around, someone with another set of hands makes this do-able with 2 pieces of wire.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lmoore View Post
    Very possible. You can isolate the reverse circuit to see of that blows the fuse. Leave the trailer disconnected, put the parking brake on in your truck, turn it to ON (do not start) and shift into Reverse. Your reverse light circuit will be powered at the back of the truck. Jumper a wire between the grounds (bottom left looking at the truck) and another between the reverse (center pin). If the solenoid is the problem, you should blow the fuse again. Jumpers with alligator clips work well for this, if you don't have any around, someone with another set of hands makes this do-able with 2 pieces of wire.
    No input on the OP's issue but my truck's reverse lights only come on if the engine is running.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeky View Post
    No input on the OP's issue but my truck's reverse lights only come on if the engine is running.
    What vehicle? I believe I've only had to use that on Chevy and Dodge, but all have worked. Sure you are trying with the key turned to On, not Accessory? On is the second position and is where the key returns after you start the vehicle.

10. Member
    What vehicle? I believe I've only had to use that on Chevy and Dodge, but all have worked. Sure you are trying with the key turned to On, not Accessory? On is the second position and is where the key returns after you start the vehicle.
    13 chevy and 17 chevy, key in run position

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeky View Post
    13 chevy and 17 chevy, key in run position
    Interesting, I’ve got an 02 Chevy and 19 Ford at home and it works on both. Wonder why Chevy would have changed that. Would most likely require an ECM enabled relay above a certain RPMs. Don’t see the point to making it that complicated. Anyways OP, you’ll have to see for yourself if you can activate the reverse circuit with that method.

12. Member
    Interesting, I’ve got an 02 Chevy and 19 Ford at home and it works on both. Wonder why Chevy would have changed that. Would most likely require an ECM enabled relay above a certain RPMs. Don’t see the point to making it that complicated. Anyways OP, you’ll have to see for yourself if you can activate the reverse circuit with that method.
    The way I found out I was putting a backup camera in the 13. I expected the reverse wire to be energized as you described.