Best Length, Power & Action spinning rod for Shakey Head fishing and Why??

My current spinning rod lineup is comprised of a bunch of rods less than 7', ie 6'8 to 6'10", and a bunch of rods more than 7', ie 7'2" to 7'6". I have medium and medium heavy power rods on both ends of the length spectrum. I have a 6'8" Medium Heavy Fast rod that I have sitting in my rod rack that was contemplating selling, as I don't use it, but I started to wonder if it might not make a great Shakey Head rod.? I started to do some research and it really looks like the preferred Shakey Head rod is 7' to 7'2" and that got me wondering why....

What is your preferred Shakey Head Rod (length, power and action) and why?

Thanks for looking and looking forward to your reply. Tight lines!

As with any of the "best" threads, there are going to be numerous opinions, numerous variables involved, and no precisely accurate answer. The rod I'd use to fish a 1/16 oz. shaky head shallow with a finesse plastic is very different than the one I'd use fishing a 1/4 oz. or 3/8 oz. weight with a full sized plastic in deep water or around cover.

The Steez AGS 7'ML is a phenomenal "all around" lighter shaky head, drop shot, finesse type spinning rod. The Steez Racing Design 67ML+ is one of the best "general purpose" shallower water closer range lighter shaky head rods I've fished. The Steez AGS 76MML is my go to deeper water 1/4 oz. bigger plastic type shaky head rod. If I'm throwing a SH on anything over 1/4 oz heads, I'm switching to casting gear...

3. Member
    Bronzefly, is there a drawback of using shorter rods for the shakey head application? I have a new Shimano Cumara 6'8" MH Fast action rod that I haven't ever fished, that I was contemplating using for this application, but I was concerned it was too short? I think its lure rating is 3/16 to 5/8 oz. Thoughts on that as a Shakey Head rod??

Quote Originally Posted by Bronzefly View Post
    As with any of the "best" threads, there are going to be numerous opinions, numerous variables involved, and no precisely accurate answer. The rod I'd use to fish a 1/16 oz. shaky head shallow with a finesse plastic is very different than the one I'd use fishing a 1/4 oz. or 3/8 oz. weight with a full sized plastic in deep water or around cover.

The Steez AGS 7'ML is a phenomenal "all around" lighter shaky head, drop shot, finesse type spinning rod. The Steez Racing Design 67ML+ is one of the best "general purpose" shallower water closer range lighter shaky head rods I've fished. The Steez AGS 76MML is my go to deeper water 1/4 oz. bigger plastic type shaky head rod. If I'm throwing a SH on anything over 1/4 oz heads, I'm switching to casting gear...

Quote Originally Posted by MainelySmallmouth View Post
    Bronzefly, is there a drawback of using shorter rods for the shakey head application? I have a new Shimano Cumara 6'8" MH Fast action rod that I haven't ever fished, that I was contemplating using for this application, but I was concerned it was too short? I think its lure rating is 3/16 to 5/8 oz. Thoughts on that as a Shakey Head rod??
    I remember that rod from way back. Made a good rod for skipping a 5" Senko under docks. I wouldn't like that rod for light SH applications, but at least 1/4 oz heads, even larger like 3/8 oz, especially around heavier grass/cover, you could make it work. Generally speaking, it isn't what I'd consider in the "ideal" range of what most guys are looking for in a shaky head rod.

I have no problem with a shorter shaky head rod for lighter baits/shallower water applications. If I'm fishing one deep, I prefer a longer rod, but that's personal preference.

5. Member
    BF, thank you very much for the feedback and insight. Much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronzefly View Post
    I remember that rod from way back. Made a good rod for skipping a 5" Senko under docks. I wouldn't like that rod for light SH applications, but at least 1/4 oz heads, even larger like 3/8 oz, especially around heavier grass/cover, you could make it work. Generally speaking, it isn't what I'd consider in the "ideal" range of what most guys are looking for in a shaky head rod.

I have no problem with a shorter shaky head rod for lighter baits/shallower water applications. If I'm fishing one deep, I prefer a longer rod, but that's personal preference.

6. Member
    I guess it depends on how you fish. Everyone like different rod lengths.
    I fish my shakey heads mainly around shallow docks - 3' to 10' deep usually.
    This year, I have been quite pleased with the megabass landsat. At only 6'11", it makes it easier to cast around and under things. It has enough power to get a decent hook set on work the fish out while still finesse enough to throw something small if I want to. I usually use 6 lbs fluorocarbon and a 1/8 jig head with a 4 to 6" plastic.
    I have the 6'8" med hvy cumara also, but I feel it's too heavy for shakey heads, the way I fish.
    I use mine for throwing senkos under docks.

7. Member
    MRPAO, I haven't found a great use for that Cumara. I have several others, 2 - 7'2" Med Fast Action, 1 - 7'2" MH Fast Action and 1 - 7'6" Med Fast that had Torzite Guides added to (replaced the original SIC guides), and I love all of them, but I just haven't found a home/use for the 6'8" MH. It is still brand new with tags never used.

Based on the feedback, I am starting to think a 7' Med Expride would be a really nice light shakey head rod.

Quote Originally Posted by mrpao View Post
    I guess it depends on how you fish. Everyone like different rod lengths.
    I fish my shakey heads mainly around shallow docks - 3' to 10' deep usually.
    This year, I have been quite pleased with the megabass landsat. At only 6'11", it makes it easier to cast around and under things. It has enough power to get a decent hook set on work the fish out while still finesse enough to throw something small if I want to. I usually use 6 lbs fluorocarbon and a 1/8 jig head with a 4 to 6" plastic.
    I have the 6'8" med hvy cumara also, but I feel it's too heavy for shakey heads, the way I fish.
    I use mine for throwing senkos under docks.

8. Member
    I like a 7’ medium for shakey head fishing. In my experience a ml is too soft in most cases

It really all depends on what you are fishing. We have customers fishing a 1/2oz shakey all the way down to 1/16th. We also have a lot of customers who really like a casting rod, even for light shakeys.

One thing to keep in mind with a shorter rod - your stroke is shorter, so you move the bait less. A lot of customers downsize and find they can really shake a bait more than actually making it short hop with a longer rod. I personally use a short rod - like 6'6" for shakeys.

Did a video about it and why we recommend the rods we do. Hope it helps!

10. Member
    GREAT STUFF CIDGRAD. I am really leaning towards using the 6'8" Cumara, but also looking for a 7' M option.