Question Premix prime VST after service?

0G869001

'99 225 EFI. I removed bottom half of the VST tank to clean the filter and debris from the inside. Left all hoses attached to the top portion, unhooked and then re-attached the small oil hose from the back/bottom of the VST tank. I replaced the oring and got everything sealed back up together. My question is, do I need to premix oil to prime the motor before running again? I pumped the ball to fill the VST up and then cycled the fuel pump on to check for leaks. Did not run it though, as I realized the VST is likely now full of straight gas. The service manual does not say anything about premixing that I could find, but thought I would ask you guys to be safe...

2. Member
    yes to be safe
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    yes to be safe
    how?

4. Member
    disconect fuel line from vst drain it fill it with premix
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Member
    alright thanks! I will fill with 50:1 and then let it idle for a while on first startup.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Need to run on premix until you can absolutely, positively state that there is no air remaining in the oil supply line between the pump and the VST.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Need to run on premix until you can absolutely, positively state that there is no air remaining in the oil supply line between the pump and the VST.

Not 100% sure how to be positive, but I filled the VST with 50:1 and the spin off fuel filter with 50:1 and ran it for 20 minutes. It was smoking way more than normal for the first 5 minutes or so, so I am assuming the oil line did not have much air in it and started injecting normally pretty quickly. I put a light behind that short oil line from pump to VST, as it is somewhat translucent and did not see any bubbles. Seems all good!

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Just as a matter of note: The clear (yes, they're supposed to be clear) oil lines should be inspected and checked at least annually. Any line that is hardened, brittle, cracked or opaque should be replaced (and the system bled).

The key of course is that there should be no air in that line (oil ONLY).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor