Have a ‘17 250 pro xs with low pressure

Just noticed my pressure gauge at idle is zero and wide open throttle hits 10 . Wonder if it’s the gauge . At wide open throttle my engine almost redlined. What thoughts do you guys have. It sounds great and is peeing great
    Serial
    2b400915

model
    1251p73bd

looks like there is a small stick in the smallest hole above the 4 holes in the front part of the lower unit. Could that tiny stock be part of the issue? Guessing that’s the speedometer. Thanks guys
    Last edited by NY29T; 05-11-2021 at 04:35 PM.

2. Member
    How old is your impeller?

The telltale has nothing to do with water through the motor. It is from the compressor cooling outlet.

You need to replace the water pump and then check your pressure again.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

Quote Originally Posted by NY29T View Post
    Just noticed my pressure gauge at idle is zero and wide open throttle hits 10 . Wonder if it’s the gauge . At wide open throttle my engine almost redlined. What thoughts do you guys have. It sounds great and is peeing great
    Dons gonna want your serial number. What kind of guage are you using for water pressure. Analog or Smartcraft?
    2013 BassCat Cougar
    Serial # 1B962763

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    The telltale has nothing to do with water through the motor. It is from the compressor cooling outlet.

You need to replace the water pump and then check your pressure again.
    +1.

Your engine's minimum acceptable water pressure is 1 - 3psi @ idle and 15+ @ WOT. As Don always says, any time you have water pressure concerns, start at the SOURCE and replace the water pump!
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox579 View Post
    +1.

Your engine's minimum acceptable water pressure is 1 - 3psi @ idle and 15+ @ WOT. As Don always says, any time you have water pressure concerns, start at the SOURCE and replace the water pump!
    ^^^^ This.

Water pump is an ANNUAL maintenance item, also.

If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    I’ll post the serial number first thing tomorrow ! Thanks guys and I haven’t replaced the water pump in a season becuase i only put ten hours in the boat . Is an impeller a timed decay ?

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    They tend to take a set to the housing's shape, thus losing much of their blade surface tension (that friction is what pumps the water).

Service interval is "Once per Year (364.99 days) OR 100 Hours of Operation, whichever occurs FIRST".

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    Took it out again. Mercury gauge shows 4.5 psi at idle and 22 at wot. Phoenix gauge shows 0-10. Guess I have to back flush the gauge ?

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Really no way to do that. You could UNHOOK the line at both ends (VERY important that BOTH ends be disconnected) and blow through it with compressed air, then reconnect. If the analog gauge still provides inaccurate info, it's probably just faulty.