Mercury XR6 lost spark, fast beeping after trying to start.

SN#OG172120- Running the boat in about 4500 RPMs when the motor lost power, somewhat gradually. So I I mediately shut the motor down. Fast beeping alarm was sounding. Reset ignition, the motor started a couple times but would not run with any load, few more tries and motor will not start, and the beeping alarm sounding. It’s the same fast beeping pattern that if the killswitch is out or oil reservoir is very low.

i’ve ran some very basic tests so far. Oil reservoir full. Killswitch in place Compression is perfect 125psi x 6. Spark test revealed getting very little spark at all on some cylinders, after alarm sounds getting absolutely no spark on any cylinder. I’ve had the motor for a while and have repaired stater failures, switch boxes, and voltage regulators in the past. What confuses me is the alarm was never present during any of those failures. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Member
    unplug wire harness at cannon plug on mtr check for spark (eliminate boat as source of problem first)them start testing stator first
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    Thanks Joe. Pulled the harness and jumped the starter, no joy. Weak intermittent spark still. I will ohm out the stator this evening, I don’t have a DVA adapter but since it’s not running don’t think I’ll need it. I’ve had stators fail in the past but never gotten the alarm horn. From what I understand that particular alarm means low oil reserve, rotation sensor at oil pump fault, or trying to start with kill switch. Any idea what could be currently triggering this alarm?

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    The oil warning module is utilizing the voltage output to one of the ignition coils as it's RPM reference (and the signal from the oil pump rotation reference as it's other).

No spark on that cylinder: All the module knows is that the two speeds don't correlate properly (something is wrong).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    ^^^^^^+1 possible switch box or stator bad
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

6. Member
    Stator resistance test seems be within range. Red to Blue - 3833 Ohm’s. Red/white to blue/white - 3849 Ohm’s. Red to black - 111.6 Ohm’s. Red/white to black - 111.4 ohms. Switch box failure is my next suspicion, but both failing simultaneously seems unlikely. How do i test them? Thanks again.
    Last edited by Wayloncat; 05-10-2021 at 10:33 PM.

7. Member
    DVA meter voltage in no voltage out = bad boxes, replace in pairs

8. Member
    Yep. The starboard switch box, which is connected to the port bank of cylinders is getting input, no output. This explains the alarm as this box has the green wire going back to the Lubalert alarm box, not detecting voltage for cylinder number two which corresponds to the rotation sensor at the oil pump. Another mystery solved! Thanks again guys

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Good job chasing it down!

To again stress what Joe said: Replace BOTH Switchboxes. Use ONLY OEM Mercury/Quicksilver components.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

10. Member
    Yes sir, will do. Is there any quality difference between the CDI brand and Quicksilver OEM?

11. Member
    i think there is MERC for me

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Same here. OEM Mercury/Quicksilver only.