Software Update 2.440 - DONT DO IT

Just applied update to my Helix 9. Now my Lakemaster maps colors/highlights no longer work. Came here and I see others had same issue. Humminbird says "oh yeah, sorry. We will fix that with the next update. In the meantime, just suck it up".
    Not to mention every time you update then it resets everything to your DEFAULT settings with is a real PITA. We spend all this time getting our units setup like we wan't them and then all our settings are erased everytime you update. I have learned my lesson - no more updates for me. The cost always seems to outweigh the benefits when it comes to these software updates. As much as we spend on these units to purchase and install them, then updates shouldn't be such a pain. And I am a computer programmer so I have some understanding of 'software development' and 'software testing'.
    In addition, others have reported other issues in addition to the Lakemaster color/highlight issue. Hopefully I can help someone else from being stupid like me and trusting Humminbird.

2. Member
    I had a similar issue last week, I applied one update, updated HB basemaps, and then updated to 2.440. Except that the basemaps update had an issue installing and the 2.440 update made the basemaps unusable. Once installed, 2.440 will not allow you to update the maps but doesn't make sure that the maps are installed before installing 2.440. What does that take? 2 or 3 lines of coding?

I spent most of friday working with HB support and they could not explain how this could happen. Their only solution is to send the unit back to Humminbird to have the maps installed. I asked, "Can you tell me what a service tech at Humminbird will do with the unit that could not be done remotely or fixed with a software patch?" She placed me on hold for several moments, then told me she couldn't answer that question, but could send me shipping labels.

SO, HB's solution to repair their programming issues is to have their customer lose the use of thousands of dollars of equipment while the units are shipped back and forth.

Poor programming + Can't update maps + Can't revert to a previous software version + Can't factory reset = terrible customer experience

I have reached out to Johnson Controls to share the story of a very unhappy customer.

3. Member
    Meh, i Updated to 2.4 on both units to combat an issue I have with MSI going dark randomly.

I can live with the depth highlight issue (other then it looks like I am about to run ground in the middle of the lake, as the shallow water depth is all messed up)

I have resorted to not messing with any settings at all, I live in the default settings of the system because otherwise my MSI goes dark halfway through the day and only way to fix is reset to defaults.
    2010 Nitro X-5 w/ 90HP Mercury Optimax
    2020 Ultrex Ipilot Link MDI
    Helix 12 MDI G3N
    Helix 12 MSI G3N
    Mega 360

I am a guy who always does the updates and have not had an issue until this one. I have the shallow water hightlights in deep water. I always use this feature and it really sucks right now!

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

HB has a real ongoing issue with this. It's been a problem for a long time. I think it's time they really look at the capability of their programming engineers or something. It's clear that they dont' know what they are doing. Customers should not have to "question" whether or not to risk installing an update in fear of screwing something else up that isn't broken. This is beyond ridiculous and is not getting any better.

Anyone know when this will be fixed ?
    Richard Woods VA Beach,VA
    US Navy ETC/SS Retired
    SKEETER ZX225 / 225 SHO W/Power Pole CHARGE
    GET HER DONE! (Helix 10 G3, 12 G3,Garmin ECHOMAP 106 /livescope and M360 Bow all NMEA2k)
    Relion lithium batteries for T/M and LithiumPro for Motor)

7. Member
    Hopefully people are all calling and reporting this. That should speed up the process.
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

Quote Originally Posted by sheeterhdip225 View Post
    Anyone know when this will be fixed ?
    NO, probably when the next software update is released.

Item three in the Chart notes of the software description:

• Fixed an issue with Lakemaster Shallow Water and Depth Highlight (Note that this created a follow-up issue that will be fixed in the next release.)
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    NO, probably when the next software update is released.

Item three in the Chart notes of the software description:

• Fixed an issue with Lakemaster Shallow Water and Depth Highlight (Note that this created a follow-up issue that will be fixed in the next release.)
    shame on me for not reading every line of the update notes. Middle of the lake in RED is not good!!!
    Jimmy Young

2021 Nitro Z19
    Mercury 200 ProXS
    Atlas 10" Hydraulic Jackplate
    Humminbird HELIX 12 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    Humminbird
    HELIX 8 CHIRP MEGA SI GPS G3N
    Humminbird HELIX 12
    CHIRP MEGA DI+ GPS G4N at bow
    Humminbird HELIX 8 CHIRP MEGA DI GPS G3N CHO at bow
    Humminbird MEGA 360
    Minn Kota Ultrex i-Pilot Link
    Dual Power Pole Blades

10. Member
    Should always read the fine print Jimmy...LOL
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

11. Member
    Maybe it is just crabby old me. Why the heck would they release that software knowing that issue existed? It is not a small or even safe issue! JMO Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    Maybe it is just crabby old me. Why the heck would they release that software knowing that issue existed? It is not a small or even safe issue! JMO Bob
    No its not you they have got to get their shiiiiistuff together

They are either having a meltdown over Mega live or they are just half assin this these days

I'm basically tell anyone don't do any updates right now you won't like the outcome
    "The handicapped angler"

Quote Originally Posted by MichAngler View Post
    No its not you they have got to get their shiiiiistuff together

They are either having a meltdown over Mega live or they are just half assin this these days

I'm basically tell anyone don't do any updates right now you won't like the outcome
    This scenario has been going on a long time regarding bugs in the updates. This isn't just a covid related impact event or a meltdown with mega technology. HB has a real problem with whoever they have in charge of software programming. No software update should be released unless it's fully vetted and accurate. If it was a rare event it would be one thing, but it seems that for a couple years now at least, every software update they come out with fixes one thing but screws something else up. Not acceptable in my opinion.

14. Member
    Yikes!! I have 2 New units not installed yet. Think I'll wait it out.
    Thanks for posting and keeping them honest

15. Member
    My standard rant:

I wonder if Ott's or Brandon's or any other big name HB pro-staffers have the same problems.

I watch a lot of videos on the tube, and my displays never look as good as theirs, even before the big red humps came up in the middle of the lake.

Ott even joked in one of his videos about how he could talk to people in Eufala that everyone couldn't.

16. Member
    I just purchased a brand new Helix 10 MSI G4N, it has 2.44 installed. Am I going to have problems with it, or is it just when you update the Unit from an older version to 2.44?
    Last edited by BrianSF; 05-11-2021 at 07:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianSF View Post
    I just purchased a brand new Helix 10 MSI G4N, it has 2.44 installed. Am I going to have problems with it, or is it just when you update the Unit from an older version to 2.44?
    I think you will have the same problems others have mentioned with this update. It's not the actual updating process that causes the issue, it's the software update itself being flawed.

18. Member
    Have had birds for 4 yrs. there’s been a bug every update since I bought my g2n when they first came out. It’s funny I never hear anything about remote control issues with the helix. I’m sitting on two remotes I haven’t been able to use for the last two updates.
    I reported to the tech and said he would get back with me. That was November of last year. It’s a good thing I’m not holding my breath.
    Last edited by Wallace; 05-13-2021 at 03:48 PM.

19. Member
    I’ve got a Helix 10 MSI G2.5 (promo). I won’t be changing anything. I like it out of the box.