Destin / Ft Walton Beach area

We have a friend who lives in Ft Walton Beach and my wife is dragging me down there at the end of this week to stay a few days. I hate the beach and I know that's where there will be all day, each day we're there. Our friend lives in Cinco Bayou on the water there, guess it's called Cinco Bayou Bay. She doesn't own a boat so if the fishing was good enough around there, thought I would haul a kayak down or maybe rent a small boat for at least a day. Any advice? What kind of fishing is in the bay? I was guessing maybe red fish or do you have to get closer to the Destin Bridge? Maybe I'm better off getting a guide or charter, just not sure what the answer is. Our friend was dating a fisherman but they broke up and he moved back to NC, my luck. Is there any public areas to bass fish in the area?

Sorry for all the questions but I need something to do besides set at a beach bar for 4 days.

2. Member
    A guide or charter would definitely be my choice based on what you listed. Yes, theres plenty of good wade fishing for trout and reds in that area but if your time is limited and you just want to catch fish I would book a half day with a guide. Bass fishing in that area is very thin. You can catch some in the dune lakes along 98 but they tend to be few and on the small side.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppin' Frog View Post
    A guide or charter would definitely be my choice based on what you listed. Yes, theres plenty of good wade fishing for trout and reds in that area but if your time is limited and you just want to catch fish I would book a half day with a guide. Bass fishing in that area is very thin. You can catch some in the dune lakes along 98 but they tend to be few and on the small side.
    Thanks man, I really appreciate you getting back with me so fast. Do you know any guides in the area? I'm guessing I can read the reviews and hopefully find someone decent. I watched some videos and looks like the red fishing is really good in that area around one of the bridges. Would it be worth me taking some of my heavier bass gear and throwing a spook around her dock in the morning or evenings? I think I have some with saltwater hooks that I never changed out. Maybe a hollow body swimbait or frog? Would be nice to be fish around the dock some if it's worth it.

If you ever come up this way and need some info on Cherokee or Douglas Lakes, shoot me a message. We have some great smallmouth fishing on Cherokee Lake.

4. Member
    Don't know any specific guides but check out HarborWalk in Destin. It's right there at the bridge and a lot of guides operate out of there. Wouldn't hurt to throw a white spook around docks, could net you a trout or red. Really don't need any crazy heavy bass tackle. I fish inshore with 20lb mono for topwater and do just fine

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppin' Frog View Post
    Don't know any specific guides but check out HarborWalk in Destin. It's right there at the bridge and a lot of guides operate out of there. Wouldn't hurt to throw a white spook around docks, could net you a trout or red. Really don't need any crazy heavy bass tackle. I fish inshore with 20lb mono for topwater and do just fine
    Thanks again, really appreciate your help. I'm going to throw a baitcaster and spinning outfit in the truck, never hurts to try.

6. Derek McCullough
    If you decide to go out check out Into the Blue, Groovy and Nino are some of the best down there.