TR186 Ladder Issues

Hi All. The screws for the lower left bracket for my ladder (where it attaches to the transom) are loose and I can't tighten them or get them out. I thought they were stripped so I loosed the lowest one just enough to get a needle nose pliers on it so I can pull out as I try to loosen it but it just turns and won't come out any further, as if it has a nut on the other end. Tried to see it from the bilge area but can't, let alone reach it even if I could see it. It looks to me like the entire cap has to come off to get to it. The other 3 brackets are tight but I'm worried about water intrusion where its loose. I think my 2000 is all composites and fiberglass so would I have to worry about eventual rotting? Presently its all covered in silicone sealer since I saw the problem and the ladder is useable but I imagine water will find its way in. Should I worry?
    2000 TR186
    2018 150 Pro XS 4 Stroke
    6in jack plate-24" Fury3

2. Member
    Mine has a steel plate w/4 tapped holes glassed into the hull sponson (no nuts). You’ll definitely be taking on some water with a loose screw. Triton transoms are coosa board so it won’t rot....but water intrusion can cause delamination.

If it were mine, I’d get it fixed....or I’d remove the ladder completely and have the opening glassed over or sealed with starboard.....then add a jackplate mounted ladder.
    Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC

3. Member
    Well I'm 68 and retired. I use the ladder a lot in the summer because there's no lifting myself out of the water into the boat, those days are over. I'm just surprised I can't pull out the screw. Seems like it will be a very expensive fix for 3 loose screws if the cap must be removed. I'm BUMMIN!!!
    2000 TR186
    2018 150 Pro XS 4 Stroke
    6in jack plate-24" Fury3