112 Ultrex Bent Prop shaft (Armature replacement) question

Need to replace the Armature on my 112 Ultrex because of a bent shaft. It looks pretty straightforward.....is there any gothcha's to look out for?

2. Member
    Not straight forward thing to do. You must be cautious of the brushes, and if you have MDI/MSI it can be tricky. You have to remove the spring tension on the brushes. the wires travel in a clip that protects them before they go up the shaft. Not real easy to put slack in when you trying to replace the armature. May be best to bring to an ASC. they should have experience in doing this.

3. Member
    if you havnt bought the armature yet they are very easily straightened by any decent machine shop, takes about 10 minutes

Be mindful of the washer and shaft spacer in nose piece.
    Use a (slow) push from top then pull from bottom on the wires.. won't take much slack to clear the rear section.
    Place motor shaft in a good bench vise -- those 36 volt magnets are strong.
    Last edited by fishnfireman; 05-10-2021 at 08:11 AM.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradrodfish View Post
    Not straight forward thing to do. You must be cautious of the brushes, and if you have MDI/MSI it can be tricky. You have to remove the spring tension on the brushes. the wires travel in a clip that protects them before they go up the shaft. Not real easy to put slack in when you trying to replace the armature. May be best to bring to an ASC. they should have experience in doing this.
    Non MDI/MSI standard US2 model.

6. Member
    Took your guys advice...called the ASC close to me he said leave it on the boat and bring it over this am. Took him 40 minutes and its already done! Thanks guys

Be Glad you have one close by.. nearest one to me is 5 hours away.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shooter66 View Post
    Took your guys advice...called the ASC close to me he said leave it on the boat and bring it over this am. Took him 40 minutes and its already done! Thanks guys
    A good choice, may I ask you where charged?
    when you see this on the water stop and say hi.

9. Member
    Was covered under what was left of my warranty....it ends real soon. But if I was to be charged it was going to be 142.00 in parts and 50.00 to install it.