Potential Convert

Hey guys,

After 30 years in a Ranger I’m ready to pull the plug. The change in ownership and the resulting service and parts disaster are too much. So I’m looking for a new brand. So I have some newbie questions:

1. What’s the difference between fxr and zxr series

2. Previous skeeters I’ve fished from seemed very light in the front and rebounded/recoiled/bounced off of objects more so than my rangers. Is this something to be expected?

3. Fishing in buddy tournaments out of a guys skeeter about 10 years ago we had several fish die in the live wells on hot days. This happened on more than one occasion, and rarely happened in my ranger. Has this been addressed?

4. The guys cooler wouldn’t keep ice for a day. Has this been addressed?

I appreciate y’all’s input. For me these are the little things, next to service and parts, that make the difference.

Thanks again

2. Member
    My boat is only a 2009 so older than what your looking for and ive only owned about a month. But my cooler in the floor holds ice atleast thru a tournament day so far but mid 70's is as warm as ive fished this year. And ive used livewell yet thru summer months. But i do love the ride of my Skeeter ZX225
    Dustin Davis
    Fish the days no one else wants to!!

2009 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha 4stroke
    Minn Kota Ultrex
    HDS Gen3 12/HDS Carbon 9

3. Member
    Ok, first why do I like my Skeeter and why did I buy my second one. The simple fact is I think they have the best logo period. In addition I think the name is cool. Nothing more nothing less.

It is like all other bass boats. It's an overpriced small piece of fiberglass. It is the worse riding boat on the water. It is not a family boat. It's not for taking the wife and kids sightseeing, water skiing, tubing or not riding. It like two speeds only, full stop or full throttle. Everyone lies about there boat so believe me its the worse riding boat on the water. It will take water over to the the bow and stern. Live well, the same as any boat, be safe ice them down.

Geez when it comes down to it why would any one In their right mind buy a bass boat?

Well when it comes to actually just fishing, you can't beat a bass boat. I guess that's why we buy them then lie about how great it does every thing but fish.
    when you see this on the water stop and say hi.

4. Member
    The hull is different between the fxr and the zxr. The deck layout is different mainly the front rod box area and trim is different with respect to extras.

as for cooler, ice will stay a full day but I started taking one of those yeti style ice things to give it some help along with ice.

have not had fish die in my fx live well. I use the aerator and the oxygenator all the time.

as for ride, I have only had issues when I first got my hydraulic jack plate as I had not figured it out yet. Water never comes over the bow (except when I forgot the trolling motor down). And I have taken my family tubing many times.

all in all I like my skeeter better than others. Fit and finish has been nice.
    Sean Fullerton

~~2022 Skeeter FXR20 Limited~~
    Yamaha SHO 250
    Helix 12
    Mega 360
    MegaLive
    Raptors

https://www.youtube.com/ruggedoutdoors

5. Member
    Big change in models started in 2019.
    Big improvement in hulls and deck layout-especially the back rear compartment for access to the guts.
    Lots of other good bass boats out there to look at.
    If you are in Nebraska I would find the dealers near you and start there. Those are the folks you will be working with on service and getting parts.
    Dealer location is important if you need service and you will. No Bass Cat Dealer in Tulsa resulted in a scratch off of my list.
    Parts-when will parts supply return to normal? For anyone brand? Who can answer those questions? It is a wildcard. If you buy new hopefully they will last a while. Used-then get on the list or find an aftermarket source.
    Have fun with your search and get to know the boat community you are in.
    Good luck.

6. Member
    I owned 3 skeeters before my current champion. I loved how my Skeeter fished. Slid off stumps great, drove like a sports car. What I didn’t like was the ride in rough water. It’s a very shallow hull and slapped waves instead of cutting through them like a ranger. However, the new hull they say has 40% less felt impact so I’m curious to see to see how they ride now. If they ride well, they are imo the best boat out there. I fish kentucky lake a lot so good ride in rough water is important and ultimately why I switched. I had a 2010 Fx20 and went to an 06 champion 210. Also, I love the Sho!
    Murray State Alum
    2007 Champion 210 with all the toys

7. Member
    Heres just a quick response off the top of my head. There are several great videos on YouTube that will give more detail.

1. What’s the difference between fxr and zxr series

Same hull - different deck layout
    FXR trailer has fiberglass fenders - ZXR has metal
    FXR switches at the cockpit are push button - ZXR switches are rocker style
    FXR comes with Helix 12 at dash AND bow - ZXR comes with Helix 12 at dash, Helix 9 at bow

2. Previous skeeters I’ve fished from seemed very light in the front and rebounded/recoiled/bounced off of objects more so than my rangers. Is this something to be expected?

I cannot help with this.

3. Fishing in buddy tournaments out of a guys skeeter about 10 years ago we had several fish die in the live wells on hot days. This happened on more than one occasion, and rarely happened in my ranger. Has this been addressed?

I have kept fish in the livewells for serval hours here in Texas and have not experienced any issues yet. However, I always put an additive (Catch and Release) in the livewell.

4. The guys cooler wouldn’t keep ice for a day. Has this been addressed?

I have not had any issues with my cooler. However, there are a lot of factors involved when judging ice retention: How much ice did he use, were the drinks cold or hot when they were put in, etc.
    2020 Skeeter FXR21
    2020 Yamaha 250 SHO
    Solix 15 - dash
    Solix 12 - bow
    Ultrex
    Sea Clear Power harness