250 Pro XS - Spark Plugs/Gas

Looked at some older threads for which I can’t access links. But, what is recommended for how often to change spark plugs? Do you go with a specific Mercury spark plug or are there others that will work just as well? Also, I was told by a mechanic to run 89 octane gas with the Quickleen/Quickcare combo and I have been religious with that, however, I’m seeing folks saying not to run over 87 octane - what’s the consensus?

2. Member
    Check the FAQ pinned just above.

3. Member
    Ok - thanks. Looks like I’m good with 89 octane and the Mercury cocktail. Read what was there on spark plugs - maybe my eyes aren’t working but did not see the guidelines for how often they need to be replaced.

Spark plugs are a yearly maintenance item, or 100 hrs. Whichever comes first.
    2013 BassCat Cougar
    Serial # 1B962763

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Check out the "Recommended Annual Maintenance (and Winterization) for Optimax Engines" thread in the FAQ.

You should be running 87 octane.

If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor