Frogging in tall grass

Anyone have a trick of the trade to get a walking frog to work in taller grass? Have upsized the frog but line still gets hung in it.

2. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I look for lanes or anything that gives me the best sight line possible. It’s all about finding the least amount of obstruction between you and the end of your cast. Angles! Don’t let the wind bow your line, that always equals trouble. Tall grass is neck to deal with.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

I agree with Casslaw.

Past that, I usually try swimming a jig in that situation if at all possible. For me it's rare that they'll hit a frog but not a swim jig, and most of the time I seem to get more bites on the swim jig I think due to not wasting as many casts, and due to being able to use my rod tip to bang it into every piece of grass possible to get the fish to react.

If they do want topwater, a toad or buzzbait can work really well.

If they really want that walking action, then it's definitely a tough row to hoe.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

4. Member
    When i can find small areas that are open i can usually get bit, maybe i will give the swim jig go.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    I agree with Casslaw.

Past that, I usually try swimming a jig in that situation if at all possible. For me it's rare that they'll hit a frog but not a swim jig, and most of the time I seem to get more bites on the swim jig I think due to not wasting as many casts, and due to being able to use my rod tip to bang it into every piece of grass possible to get the fish to react.

If they do want topwater, a toad or buzzbait can work really well.

If they really want that walking action, then it's definitely a tough row to hoe.
    Yeppers, swimjigs are my go-to as well in these circumstances, and the little used Johnson Silver Minnow waked up top with a trailer.

6. Member
    Frustrating at times, other times it pays off. One of the better fish I caught a couple years ago frogging was after a couple fouled casts into the reeds. Then one landed relatively well without much obstruction - until it wrapped around a stem, as I reeled it further the frog walked up the reed then plopped back into the water only to get crushed by a 5.5 pounder waiting below...

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon1 View Post
    Yeppers, swimjigs are my go-to as well in these circumstances, and the little used Johnson Silver Minnow waked up top with a trailer.
    Wow... silver minnow waked on top. Havent thought about that since i was a kid on the big O. Used to do that over fields of hydro and pepper grass. Unfortunately i have yet to get the fish to react to a bait moving steady. They need that pause it seems.

8. Banned

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ladr6 View Post
    Wow... silver minnow waked on top. Havent thought about that since i was a kid on the big O. Used to do that over fields of hydro and pepper grass. Unfortunately i have yet to get the fish to react to a bait moving steady. They need that pause it seems.
    Yessir...another tech is to walk/twitch a weightless t-rigged trick worm, or wake a big Kalin's Mogambo Grub with a big 4/0 hook weightless, or doing the same on with a big 10" lizard. You'll be surprised at the size of bass that will blow up on a weightless lizard or Mogambo buzzed over grass and through tall weeds...make sure to t-rig and skin-hook the tip of the hook for better hookups.