Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Livewell vents?? What say you BassCat?

Are the aftermarket vents that go in livewell lids voodoo magic or is there solid science behind their purpose? Trying to separate the b.s. from reality in fishing is exhausting 😂.
    2020 BassCat Cougar FTD SP
    2020 250 Pro SX
    #Denalirods #Powerpole
    #PowerhouseLithium
    #Powerpole Move

2. Member
    if basscat thought they needed them, likely they would already have them (is my guess)?
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

3. Member
    Watch a BASS or MLF/TW Pro or Toyota Series. I can't remember the last time I saw a "pro" boat with them installed.

4. Member
    I put them in my classic haven’t lost a fish but I also dose the water with g juice too
    2020 pantera classic
    200 mercury 4s

I put them in a Nitro I had years ago as my fish were struggling. It solved the issue.

I never had any issue with any BCB even with 60 pounds of stripers in the wells.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

Not necessary, minuscule improvement in oxygen levels.

7. Member
    Thank you
    2020 250 Pro SX
    #Denalirods #Powerpole
    #PowerhouseLithium
    #Powerpole Move

Just pull fresh water in all day except when running.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

Be careful on pulling freshwater from backwater systems and river systems. In summer the quality and temps in backwater can be hard on fish and the temps in the wells should rise slowly. Putting backwater on river fish in main river water can be catastrophic.

There is more thought to fish management than most give it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    Be careful on pulling freshwater from backwater systems and river systems. In summer the quality and temps in backwater can be hard on fish and the temps in the wells should rise slowly. Putting backwater on river fish in main river water can be catastrophic.

There is more thought to fish management than most give it.
    This is why I fill my livewell with the first fish of the morning during the summer. I never add anymore water and just run the recirculation pump. I'll add some catch and release if I think it's necessary and frozen water bottles also. I've never lost a fish in a BCB well unless it was hooked bad.

11. Member
    I've put vt2 vents in my last 2 boats and IMO they make a difference. IDK if they put more oxygen in the water but it definitely stays cooler.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by willwork4fish View Post
    I've put vt2 vents in my last 2 boats and IMO they make a difference. IDK if they put more oxygen in the water but it definitely stays cooler.
    +1. And the bass are much livelier at weigh in. The vents also bleed off the toxic gas given off by the bass, something you don't see mentioned. A sealed livewell can be deadly to bass.

13. Member
    What toxic gas? I know they say that in their advertising for the vents but have never seen the data to back up the claim. It would be some interesting laboratory testing results if someone has actually went that far?
    2020 250 Pro SX
    #Denalirods #Powerpole
    #PowerhouseLithium
    #Powerpole Move

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knuckle View Post
    What toxic gas? I know they say that in their advertising for the vents but have never seen the data to back up the claim. It would be some interesting laboratory testing results if someone has actually went that far?
    $5.00 worth of plastic, don't think you are going to see a lot of laboratory testing on that. I have them on my lids and the biggest thing I have noticed is live well temps are lower. Hope it helps.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fynns View Post
    $5.00 worth of plastic, don't think you are going to see a lot of laboratory testing on that. I have them on my lids and the biggest thing I have noticed is live well temps are lower. Hope it helps.
    I’m thinking more around the lines of overall testing of all the livewell gadgets, spray bars, chemicals, ice, insulation, etc. That type of research I just find very interesting, not to mention educational.
    2020 250 Pro SX
    #Denalirods #Powerpole
    #PowerhouseLithium
    #Powerpole Move

16. Member
    gimmick

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassangler88 View Post
    gimmick
    So you have never tried them. They flat out work.

18. Member
    I have noticed some toxic gas at times from my passengers seat but never from the live well

Fish produce metabolic waste like every other living organism. The vents help with removing the gas from the livewell.

Feider had them on his Cat a couple of years ago. I asked him what he thought about them and he said he felt they made a difference in keeping the livewell cooler.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knuckle View Post

Ammonia is the damaging “gas” that fish expel from urination. Part of the process...

Upper air injection by recirculation removes the ammonia and injects micro bubbles of oxygen into the water, not upper venting.

The draw latches are the largest improvement on water temps, removing the stainless twist latch that becomes a heat probe in the livewells.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast