Thread: Reel comparison

Reel comparison

Slinging Lews reels and like the Hyper Mag but I am curious what reels in Shimano or Daiwa would be comparable? I can’t justify more than $300 for a reel but I want light weight and able to handle Florida drag settings. Thanks

2. Member
    Honestly the only reel that compares to the HyperMag is the metanium but its more costly. I switched from Shimano to Lews about 6 months ago and they hit a grand slam with the HyperMag. Since you can get them on Ebay for around $230 new it's really the best value out there. I have 8 of them now and dont even consider going back to Shimano.

3. Member
    You can get JDM Metaniums for under $300 from Asian Portal and Digitaka. Everyone I've ordered has been delivered in 3 days.

4. Banned
    Is that a real comparison though?

5. GTB
    Tatula T wing

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LewStulePH.D. View Post
    Is that a real comparison though?
    yeah I think so. The only Shimano reels I ever owned that the HyperMag reminds me of is the Metanium. Mostly because of the low profile, smoothness and light weight. They both cast light lures extremely well, And as pointed out above they can be found for roughly the same general price range $220-$280. Honestly, they're both great reels. You never really hear anybody that's bought either complaining about them. I would love for one of the reel gurus on Youtube to do an in depth head to head comparison on them.
    Last edited by Poppin' Frog; 05-10-2021 at 07:44 AM.

7. Banned
    They don't make a Scorpion any longer? If You ever get to Citrus County You can take mine out for a spin, casts like a dream

8. Member
    Aldebaran is by far best for light to medium action. If you want Shimano get Chronarch for everyday use.

9. Member
    I'm loving my Shakespeare bait casters, I can usually cast them at least 15-20 feet....Thanks for turning me on to them Jason...

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GTB View Post
    Tatula T wing
    I bought one, then two.......I now have 7 different Tatulas for different set-ups ..... Just go buy one and see.
    Nothing compares.
    And I have owned and fished Shimanos and Lews. I sold them and bought Tatulas.
    RT188
    I LIKE boats...BUT I LOVE PLANES
    Oh yeah.... I love the RT188 too.