2012 Merc 250 ProXS burning oil

Good morning,

My 2012 Mercury 250 Pro XS is burning a lot of oil lately, and seeing a lot of white smoke coming out when I start it. That I know of, I did not put it into break in mode although I'm not exactly sure what that process involves, so perhaps I unknowingly did?

SN: 1B916580
    2012 Phoenix 721/250 Pro XS

2. Member
    Jogging the shifter back and forth with engine off puts it in break in.

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Someone with a Diagnostic Tool/System can check for ACTIVE FAULTS (if it's in Break-in, there will be a "Break-In" fault in the ACTIVE faults list).

How full are you filling your remote oil tank? Do you fill at the tank, or with a deck-fill?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Jtreed99 View Post
    Jogging the shifter back and forth with engine off puts it in break in.
    Correct but the key must be on IIRC. Have kids played in your boat lately? They love being a throttle jockey!

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Someone with a Diagnostic Tool/System can check for ACTIVE FAULTS (if it's in Break-in, there will be a "Break-In" fault in the ACTIVE faults list).

How full are you filling your remote oil tank? Do you fill at the tank, or with a deck-fill?
    Deck fill.

Would that active fault show up via vessel view as well?
    2012 Phoenix 721/250 Pro XS

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Would normally have a notice that the engine was in break-in (with a break-in time remaining) if Break-in is active.

If you happen to fill your remote oil tank more than 80% of it's volume, oil may be forced into the engine after engine shutdown. And it will smoke when it's trying to burn oil off.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor