Optimax 250xs shifting issue

Serial # 1B867668

I recently installed a new torquemaster lower unit. I have noticed that it is a little harder to get in and out of gear than it was with the old lower unit. I have also noticed that there seems to be a delay when shifting the shifter from forward gear to neutral while idling. I would say that it is takes between 2-3 seconds for the gear case to catch up to the shifter when going into neutral from forward gear. My question is, is it normal for a shift cable to need to be adjusted following a lower unit replacement? If so, where might I be able to find the procedure for doing so? Thank you.
    2020 Nitro Z21 Mercury 250 Pro XS 4S
    12" Atlas Hydraulic
    Dual 8' Power Pole Blades
    Solix 15, Solix 12, Solix 10
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 Ipilot Link

2. Member
    Bump...any input would be appreciated
    12" Atlas Hydraulic

3. Member
    yes would check adjustments for sure , merc serv manuals are best place
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    +1

Also, make which gearcase PART NUMBER did you install?

Make sure the shift relay arm is not bent... may rub the lower cowling if it is (also that shift cable retaining nut is backed off 1 turn from fully seated, so that the plastic washer rotates freely beneath it).

Diagnostic Tool would help to determine if the shift switch is signalling correctly (allows the PCM to assist in making shifting easier).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Thanks for the responses. I installed a new OBR ME-G6-23-N lower unit. I will check adjustments when I get home. Thank you.
    12" Atlas Hydraulic