What would I expect to pay?

I have a 7 1/2’ bait casting rod that I really like for shaky fishing. There is a rod builder in a close by town. He has done repair work for me in the past. I want to take the rod to him and see if he can find a similar blank and build me a second one. I don’t want a bunch of fancy wrap just a good job with a full cork handle.

What would be a ballpark figure for such a rod?

2. Member
    No way to really say what a ball park figure for the rod would be without knowing what rod you're trying to match, and what components are on the rod. It's what he would charge above and beyond component costs, is the question.

Myself personally, and thus far I only have built rods for myself, but personally whether or not I could get everything I need from one supplier will have a bearing on costs. More than one supplier, cost goes up. Figure a 10% mark up on components and anywhere between $100 - $150 in labor to build the rod. Understand that the only thing that would be warranted, other than the actual craftsmanship, would be the blank itself.

If you broke it, and most rod breakages are user related, the only components that would be saved are the guides, any trim rings, and possibly the reel seat. You can figure on new grips. Depending on the builder, the labor cost to build a new one may be the same as the initial purchase.

3. Member
    I'm not concerned with warranty. I’m just wondering what I might expect for it to cost. Would it be $200, $300 ??? I’ve never had a rod built before. I just can’t get one like I have. It was from Ark Rods. I knew the owners and got some good rods over the years. I don’t know the new owners and have been told that they don’t deal with individuals.

4. Member
    Blank cost about 125.00, full cork if using grade A cork 50.00, reel seat and guides 35.00. build cost 100.00 to 150.00

5. Member
    If you still know the old owners I would ask what blank they used and go from there.

Allen

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Munkin View Post
    If you still know the old owners I would ask what blank they used and go from there.

Allen
    I would if I could but it isn’t possible. He got Alzheimer’s and I have lost track of them.

parts plus $125-150 to put together

8. Member
    If it doesn't have the blank manufacturer's decal on it the price point can't be high on the blank, maybe even a second.

9. Member
    I’d say about $300ish.

blank-$85 to $120
    reel seat and handles -$30
    guides- $50
    Labor- $5per guide + $75 on top.

Also have to factor in shipping of all materials and the finished rod if you don’t have a local builder
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

10. Member
    Ok so $300 ish ball park. I had no idea what it would be. I taking my rod over to his place Wednesday morning. I hope he has something in stock so we can get the ball rolling. Thanks guys.

11. Member
    Thanks guys. I was at least able to act semi intelligent when we discussed the rod today. He is going to start on it next week.