Thread: Carb gas leak

Carb gas leak

Hello, I recently bought a ‘94 Stratos 285 XL from a buddy of mine. He says it has sat for a couple few years, but he’s never had a problem with it. Said he had it out once or twice this year before he decided to sell it. I generally trust him as he’s never steered me wrong before. I did buy it mostly sight unseen, due to my location, poor local market, & the price was too good to not snatch it up before someone else did.

Anyways, I can’t keep it running longer than 20ish seconds. It starts right up & seems to idle just fine, but then dies. I reprime the bulb, then it starts right back up, rinse & repeat. Pumping the bulb doesn’t seem to help, but I may not be getting to it in time. I’m thinking some sort of restriction upstream of the bulb. Since I’ve bought it, I’ve replaced the gas (he said he ran it on the old gas), new tank level senders, new fuel filter, & replaced the vapor extractor gasket, as it was leaking. I see no other gas leaks, or issues, except a slow leak from the top stbd carb. It’s leaking from what appears to be a little metal ball from the bottom, stbd side of the bowl, in the pic. However, I cannot find anything that actually references this part of the carb in the service manual or anywhere else. Is it fixable or do I need to replace the bowl? It does push in/pop out, but they’re solid on the other carbs. Thanks!

Oh, it’s a 150 Hp fast strike J150GLERA
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by TiNuts; 05-08-2021 at 01:30 PM. Reason: Added motor type

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Mix up some Marine Tex and smear it over the BB let it cure and you're good to go.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    Mix up some Marine Tex and smear it over the BB let it cure and you're good to go.
    Easy enough. Thank you Sir.