Optimax 225 won't output full power & strange ECU codes

2004 Optimax 225 SN 1b073280

I had my boat in storage for a year and took it out last weekend. I was trolling at 2500rpm for a few hours and decided to run it WOT back to the ramp. I topped out at 4500rpm and it didn't sound right. I went back to idle and WOT a few times without success. The motor is propped right and it should get up to 5200-5300 depending on sea state.

I replaced the fuel filter and hooked up my Techmate observing the following codes:
    • 53 EST 6 open circuit
    • 47 EST 3 open circuit
    • 82 Oil level sensor high
    • 75 Fuel level 1 circuit high
    • 104 Lake/Sea temp circuit high

My oil tank is full and the fuel sender isn't connected to the engine. It goes directly to the console. I took apart the oil level sensor connector and there is no corrosion. I didn't walk through freeze frames but the console temperature gauge reported temps around 110 when the sea temp circuit was reporting as high. I'm going to ohm out the coil packs and see if they need replacement.

I don't even know which sensor is related to raw water temperature but I am thinking there might be a problem elsewhere. I have had my TechMate hooked up a half dozen times or so and the fuel level code has never shown up before.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Since the coil drivers for #3 and #6 are in the same external driver, I would be looking at the driver itself (or a ground) as the potential problem. If grounds on the coil plate are good, and there is no corrosion in any of the connectors, try swapping the driver and see if the problem moves to other cylinders.

Drivers are arranged:

1/4
    2/5
    3/6

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor