Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Skeeter FXR21 (Porpoising at Low Speeds?)

I am sorry if you are reading this twice. Someone advised me to post my questions here.

I am in the market for a new bass boat. I was set on purchasing a Skeeter FXR21 because the dealer's customer service has been exceptional on my current boat (different brand/entry level boat). However, when I started doing research on the Skeeter FXR21, I watched a video of a professional fisherman reviewing the FXR21 (and, many others). He talked about the FXR21 porpoising at low speeds. He said it takes the boat a long to hit plane. And, he advised about the boat being hard to handle for an inexperienced boater on rough waters because it was hard to keep the nose down. While I am not inexperienced, I am also not very experienced. I have owned a 17 ft. aluminum boat for four years this June and avoid rough water situations. I was hoping a 21 foot boat that is heavier than my current aluminum boat would help me get out there a little more. And, I have two young kids that are starting to fish with me.

Anyone have any experience with this boat? Is it hard to handle on rough waters? Does it porpoise at low speeds?

Thank you!

2. Member
    This has become blown up a lot more than it should be, my 9 year old daughter drives my ZXR21 at low speeds with no issues (20 to 30 mph). Now I have not been in very many 21’ bass boats but a lot of 17-19’ boats and this is a Cadillac very smooth ride and the fishing platform is the best I been on. Coming out of a Ranger 372 I was shocked how stable and easy it is to fish cover.

BTW, there is little to no difference that you will be able to tell between the FXR and ZXR other than the deck and little bells and whistles
    2021 Skeeter ZXR21 Yamaha SHO 250
    1993 Ranger 372 Mercury 150 XR6

3. Member
    Yes the FXR has this issue. They made a lot of adjustments to my dads and fixed it by adding a wedge. He told them that all along, but they tried a lot of other things first..

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bowtech32 View Post
    This has become blown up a lot more than it should be, my 9 year old daughter drives my ZXR21 at low speeds with no issues (20 to 30 mph). Now I have not been in very many 21’ bass boats but a lot of 17-19’ boats and this is a Cadillac very smooth ride and the fishing platform is the best I been on. Coming out of a Ranger 372 I was shocked how stable and easy it is to fish cover.

BTW, there is little to no difference that you will be able to tell between the FXR and ZXR other than the deck and little bells and whistles
    Have you taken yours on rough waters, yet? I am interested to know if you are able to keep the nose down. Or, do you have to fiddle a lot with trimming the engine or other actions? I appreciate the input.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gofish24 View Post
    Yes the FXR has this issue. They made a lot of adjustments to my dads and fixed it by adding a wedge. He told them that all along, but they tried a lot of other things first..
    Thanks, gofish24. Excuse my ignorance, but what you you mean by adding a wedge? Was he having trouble on slick waters or rough waters, or both? Once again, thanks.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Slayer1 View Post
    Have you taken yours on rough waters, yet? I am interested to know if you are able to keep the nose down. Or, do you have to fiddle a lot with trimming the engine or other actions? I appreciate the input.
    Rough water all boats you will need to use trim to get the best ride, not been in really rough water yet be pretty choppy with no issues. Always need to trim a bit to keep the nose up. I do have an Atlas JP on mine which does make a difference, what I do with it is higher in smooth water and low in rough water. If you don’t want to mess there is a sweet spot in the middle and you can leave it. The best thing I like about the boat is it very easy to drive to about 65 to 70 mph, I think I can get close to 75 mph but the last 5mph a lot more input from the driver is needed.
    2021 Skeeter ZXR21 Yamaha SHO 250
    1993 Ranger 372 Mercury 150 XR6

7. Member
    I have had the older FX models and have now been running an FXR and currently a ZXR. The new hulls are much improved and have largely eliminated any porpoise issue. I have no issues with this all and can run the boats at low speeds on plane.

8. Member
    I have a 2020 FXR21. I do not have a porpoise issue.
    2020 Skeeter FXR21
    2020 Yamaha 250 SHO
    Solix 15 - dash
    Solix 12 - bow
    Ultrex
    Sea Clear Power harness

9. Member
    I have a 2021 FXR, I pop on plane and trim down when I slow down and never have any porpoising issues.

10. Member
    its a wedge that goes between jackplate and boat. skeeter did it for free. I will say his was one of the first FXR's off the floor

11. Member
    My 2021 FXR 21 rides fine in rough water and will get on plane fast. However it will porpoise like flipper at lower speeds. It has a tendency to drift in winds when fishing due to the wide platform, also not the easiest boat to navigate in tight spaces.

12. Member
    I have the ZXR 21 and absolutely love it. My experience:
    It is incredible in rough water and is very easy to drive. I have run in slightly rough chop in the upper 60's with zero input needed on the steering wheel. I have also ran this boat in high wind very rough water and it handles it with ease. A little trim adjustment and it ran easily over white caps at 50. In slick water hitting 70+ I could almost take my hands off the wheel. At low speed you defiantly have to be trimmed down more that other boats or you will experience proposing. Be aware that if you are running a jack plate at an optimum high speed setting you can potentially get the nose cone out of the water when trimmed down and on pad at low speeds leading to zero water pressure (I whish Yamaha had additional side water pickups on the lower unit). I have the Atlas hydro plate which allows me to lower the plate when running at very slow speed while trimmed down and maintaining water pressure.
    2021 Skeeter ZXR-21 with 250 Yamaha SHO, Pro II Power Poles, Atlas Hydro Jack Plate

13. Member
    I have a 2020 FXR21, its the best riding and handling boat I have ever owned. I have had Ranger's and Triton's all boats have their quirks but this new skeeter to me is fantastic. Very stable, I don't have issues with porpoising, and hole shot is quick for me. Its not a super fast boat (70-71 fully loaded and two guys) but during blast off (or first run) if water is rough I will pass the lighter faster boats that can't handle rougher chop, never have to get off the gas on the skeeter. I like the fact everything that has to do with the boat is under one manufacture, trailer, hull/boat, and motor.

14. Member
    I have 2020 FXR21. Love the boat. But yes, at lower speeds it wants to porpoise. After some drive time, I’ve figured out how to use the trim to eliminate this when coming down from high speeds. It handles rough water better than the 22ft Ranger I had. But I’d argue rough water is rough riding no matter what boat you own. Gotta know how to drive it when it’s rough. When it’s not rough, you can operate it with no hands. Literally. Easy operating boat.

15. Member
    I have a 2021 FXR21. My first time out, I did not pay attention to my jack plate height/trim (jack plate was high and trim was up high) and noticed my boat would porpoise at low speed. After that first outing; adjusting jack plate height and trim, I have not encountered that issue since. Little to no trim until boat gets on plane then you are good to go. If your jack plate/trim is up high, your boat will porpoise at low speed. When coming to a stop or low speed just lower your trim and you will never have that issue (it will be second nature once you get use to it). Rough water ride is second to none. Very easy boat to drive.

16. Member
    PM to gofish24
    2021 FXR20LE Option 3

17. Member
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA

18. Member
    A lot of it is driving habits. There is a small learning curve with Skeeters. Beyond that, issues can be fixed by a prop change/modification, wedges/spacers, or adding a foil. Skeeters have no problem getting on plane. As big as a purchase this is, I would highly recommend getting a test drive and getting a feel for yourself.

Have you guys heard anything about some FXR hulls porpoising more than others due to factory variances? I thought I heard the customer service guy at Skeeter let it slip out. I CANNOT get the porpoise out of my 2022 FXR. I’ve tried everything. This is my 4th Skeeter and have owned three iClass boats. I am very familiar with driving Skeeters. My boat is porpoising in the high 20’s to low 30’s. Extremely annoying to the point I’m considering selling. I may need the wedges but Skeeter no longer comps them.
    Last edited by Ranchdip; 05-06-2023 at 12:42 PM.
    2022 Skeeter FXR21 Apex
    Helix 15/ Helix 12 / Garmin 1222 / LS34 Livescope

Jer. 33:3

20. <B>BBC SPONSOR</B>
    Do you have the 2” spacers between motor and jackplate?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast