Transducer protection.

So as I installed my new Solix the question of protection came up. My neighbor said you need to buy the ****** to protect your transducer. It makes sense to protect a $300 Transducer on the bottom of your trolling motor, or does it? I know people who never ever would think of even come close to bouncing the bottom of their TM off of rocks. I'm not one of them. I have been doing it since 1985. I have never damaged a transducer.

But let's get back to the cost of modern day transducers. Ok let me back up a little first. A very friend of mine on this forum broke his fisher finder while casting a lure. Yep he hit it smack in the middle and cracked the glass. Guess what it was covered by his boat insurance.

Wow, I didn't even think about that. Then I though if I hit a rock with my lower unit guess what, yep covered by nsurance. Ok so you know where I'm going. Why would I pay $180 for a product to protect my transducer. That's an extremly large cost compared with what is being protected.

Ok I get it, if I break my TM transducer my depth finder is out of action. For the weekend want to be fisherman pro it's going to ruin your look and maybe a few dollars of prise money. The real pros, yeah you can not afford to be down one second.

In any event son in law who is just plain smart, he makes thing that you don't know you need. He launch a very profitable company selling sporting glove liners. Who knew there was a market to protect goalie gloves from sweat.

Ok to the point. So now he is working on my prototype. Once he gets it done he wants me to beat the hell out of my transducer. Or as in his words you will destroy your trolling motor head long before your transducer. I asked how much this device is going to cost. He said when he gets it all done probably not more than $20 to $ 40 bucks, less if his 3D printer design works.
    when you see this on the water stop and say hi.

For me it would be worth it as I have destroyed a few on Oyster beds.
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

I have a transducer protector in the shop.But it is for the puck type transducer not the long one for side imaging.

4. Member
    Ive found that offshore fishing and holding the boat in 25/30 foot of water, that you will never damage the transducer.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fx20 2011 View Post
    So as I installed my new Solix the question of protection came up. My neighbor said you need to buy the ****** to protect your transducer. It makes sense to protect a $300 Transducer on the bottom of your trolling motor, or does it? I know people who never ever would think of even come close to bouncing the bottom of their TM off of rocks. I'm not one of them. I have been doing it since 1985. I have never damaged a transducer.

But let's get back to the cost of modern day transducers. Ok let me back up a little first. A very friend of mine on this forum broke his fisher finder while casting a lure. Yep he hit it smack in the middle and cracked the glass. Guess what it was covered by his boat insurance.

Wow, I didn't even think about that. Then I though if I hit a rock with my lower unit guess what, yep covered by nsurance. Ok so you know where I'm going. Why would I pay $180 for a product to protect my transducer. That's an extremly large cost compared with what is being protected.

Ok I get it, if I break my TM transducer my depth finder is out of action. For the weekend want to be fisherman pro it's going to ruin your look and maybe a few dollars of prise money. The real pros, yeah you can not afford to be down one second.

In any event son in law who is just plain smart, he makes thing that you don't know you need. He launch a very profitable company selling sporting glove liners. Who knew there was a market to protect goalie gloves from sweat.

Ok to the point. So now he is working on my prototype. Once he gets it done he wants me to beat the hell out of my transducer. Or as in his words you will destroy your trolling motor head long before your transducer. I asked how much this device is going to cost. He said when he gets it all done probably not more than $20 to $ 40 bucks, less if his 3D printer design works.
    Id give him a light bulb to play with instead of a transducer.

6. Member
    You need to manufacture an item for 1/6th the selling cost to make a profit generally. I built an Azek support under my transducer and glued it in place. used a plastic giant ziptie around the transducer to guarantee it stayed there, a steel hose clamp holds the transducer bracket on.
    Last edited by billnorman1; 05-11-2021 at 02:34 AM. Reason: speeling