Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Any Experience With VA Claim Pros?

This is a Medical Consulting service that purports to evaluate your service connected issues with the VA. It is a fee based service that collects 5x an award. Recently, the VA admitted service connected hearing loss and awarded 0% compensation. That started an appeal process thru this service which now includes "Agent Orange Presumptive" and asbestos exposure. We'll see how it progresses. The VA Claim Pros only collect if money is awarded. In my case Heart disease (3 x bypass) and respiratory problems are likely service connected. The hearing -even with hearing aids - is not good. I consulted with an Amvets office at the VA Hospital years ago but that guy was very negative about filing a claim and I didn't do it. Yes, I am an Amvets member. I'm certain that there are many Viet Nam veterans with qualifying conditions and disabilities who know nothing about the process... I'm barely one notch past that.
    Last edited by hooksetter5; 05-24-2021 at 08:05 AM.

Mississippi River Pool 13
    Ranger R93 / Merc 200

2. Member
    I am a member and have used VFW for my claims 50% disability

3. Member
    No experience with them, you may want to drop 1stindoor a line, he knows the system really well.

You describe a pay service. I found it was a matter of talking with the right VSO then listening to their advice, nothing happens fast with the VA.

There are lots of those types of agencies out there that will charge you a percentage of your awarded compensation for doing absolutely nothing that you can't do for your self for free. These people prey (and that is the correct word) on those people that may or may not have a valid claim but don't want to take the time and energy that's required to submit a valid claim through a certified VSO. What they will do is help you fill out the paperwork, which you can do yourself by downloading the forms, set you up with Dr.'s appointment (if necessary...although many times they'll tell you to set up up your own appointment with your own provider and tell them XY and Z so that it's in your chart). Then they'll have you fill out paperwork allowing them to act on your behalf and request copies of your medical records or have you bring them copies. Then they'll mail or email your paperwork to the VA...which again you could do on your own. Then you'll wait...because absolutely nothing they do can speed up the process and currently the VA is approximately 500-600,000 cases behind the power curve. If/when you are awarded compensation they'll then take a healthy percentage of the money that you earned through your service, your sacrifice, your blood and suffering, your failing health, your arthritic joints, your depression at burying your friends, etc.

Just my .02 cents, but I would recommend a good VSO like the VFW, DAV, WWP, etc. At least you know most of those people spent their time in uniform as well.
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

I started my claim two years ago. I am 87,000 in line for a VA judge. The VA is absolutely ridiculous to deal with. They denied all of my claims two times. I went to my family doctor, ENT, and psychiatrist... all three gave me written documentation stating what I was claiming was due to my experiences in the military. The VA process has been extremely long for me and I've wanted to give up many times. I can see why these agencies collect 5x. It is worth it in some cases like mine. The way things are going, I will be lucky to get through the process in three years.

Here is the problem...not judging, just making an observation based on 8 years of working with wounded, ill, and injured and Veterans. Many people want to make a claim based on something they claimed happened 15, 20, 25, 30 to 40 years or more ago. Not saying that those things did or did not happen, but when going before the VA, without any evidence, it's hard to show correlation with military service. Especially if that person has been a civilian and working for the last X number of years after they got out....and they never filed a claim upon exiting the service. Unfortunately, many of these organizations try to convince these vets that they are acting in their best interest, versus just trying to earn a buck off of their service.

Here's a great example....let's say a Servicemember got out and filed a legitimate claim and was awarded $1,000 a month (to keep the math easy). Dewey, Cheatem, and Howe offer to help the vet get his rating to 100% P&T...which could equal a monthly award of $3,300. They do nothing other than send in paperwork, 18 months later they get pushed to 100%...backpayed to when the VET got out. That award could be worth north of $40,000 just going back to the date it was submitted. A lot more if there was an substantial amount of time since he exited the military....5 times the award amount. How long will it take the VET to pay off that debt? To be honest, the VET will still get his $1,000 a month. The money that would have been added to his monthly income will go to the company until that contracted amount is paid off. So a year or two (or more) down the road, the VET now gets his new amount.

I stand by my earlier comment. There are tons of organizations out there that will help...because it's the right thing to do, without stealing from the VET. A reputable VSO will assist with the claim that's easily approved, i.e. tinnitus, or joint issues, or builds upon existing evidence. After that will assist with making the harder to prove claim....again, not saying they didn't happen, just may lack evidence. And reminding the VET that these things take time.
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

To: 1stindoor ... Thank you for making me take a second look at this. I have sent a request for confirmation that the fees are limited to 5x the monthly INCREASE and not tied to, or inclusive of any backpay. Now, we will wait to see if or how they respond to the question. There is a cancellation provision but that too is a little vague.

Ranger R93 / Merc 200

HHappy to be of help. I'll be honest people in my organization (USSOCOM's Warrior Care Program) have recommended similar organizations to help vets with lengthy claims, but always with the same advice ahead of time...get it done by a legitimate VSO...it's free. Many vets see these other companies as an "easy button," and sometimes they can be, but they always come with a cost. I've dealt with more than one vet that was "disgusted" after the award at the knowledge that they gave away so much money for "Just doing paperwork." There was a local company here in my neck of the woods that had Doctor's on their staff that would fill out the DBQs (Disability Benefit Questionnaires) because they knew what verbiage to use to coincide with the VASR-D (VA Schedule of Ratings-Disability) so that there was a better chance of success it getting something approved. I question whether that was for the benefit of the vet or for their eventual payment.
    2016 Nitro Z21

Interesting situation. The agreement that this outfit uses... (Did I mention that they are based in Puerto Rico?) said you can cancel at any time (before they issue an opinion).
    The cancellation is effective after they acknowledge receipt. Or upon receipt of Certified Mail. They fail, however to provide a street address to send Certified mail to. There is a PO Box only. I think the young man that was my contact may have unwittingly responded by phone to my email of cancellation. My thought being that is an acknowledgement of receipt of notice. We will see. I'm expecting them to try to hold on. That agreement gets them paid after they have issued something.... Hopefully, you warned me in time.
    Last edited by hooksetter5; 05-20-2021 at 07:46 PM.

Ranger R93 / Merc 200

Hope I did too....but if I didn't at least you can help someone else through your experience. And if your VA ratings increase, you'll still have that to look forward to the for rest of your life. After that, we can discuss DIC. If you're not familiar with Dependents Indemnity Compensation, I encourage you to become so if you are married. https://www.va.gov/disability/depend...-compensation/
    2016 Nitro Z21

We can put a fork in this string - I believe. The rep for VA Claim Pros called and provided a street address for the main office. He also sent an email acknowledgement of my cancellation email. We talked a bit more and he said that VACP does not seek 5x backpay. If there is an increase due to an appeal they get paid 5 x the increase. If there is a new claim they get paid 5 x the additional award. If there is a lump sum back pay for a new claim - they charge 10% of the increase. At least that's what I heard. So now I will be looking for a VSO. Earlier you said something about seeking a "reputable" VSO ... which more than suggests there are other kinds. I will try to get referrals - I am in the Northwest Chicago suburbs. Does it matter where the VSO is located? Thanks again for having the backs of vets.

Ranger R93 / Merc 200

12. Member
    https://www.va.gov/ogc/apps/accreditation/index.asp

You can put your info in and get a list of accredited VSO's in your area.

They are people, everyone I've ever met had good intentions. That being said I recommend asking locally for recommendations.

So I will echo what n2ratfishin said, asking around your area for recommendations is always a good thing. I'm fortunate in that some of my external training was with the NACVSO (National Association of County Veteran Service Officers). Using their site I pulled up stuff for the Chicago area, we've also have had success with Vets using Wounded Warrior Project. I used the VFW myself when I retired in 2013. Here's some starting points for you.

Username: Illinois Department of Veterans' Affairs IDVS
    Office: Illinois Department of Veterans' Affairs
    Email: webmail@dva.state.il.us
    Website: https://www.illinois.gov/veterans/Pages/default.aspx
    Phone: 312-814-2460
    Fax: 312-814-2764
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/IllinoisDep...teransAffairs/
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/ILVetsAffairs

Office Address
    Illinois Department of Veterans' Affairs
    James R. Thompson Center
    100 West Randolph, Suite 5-570
    Chicago, Illinois 60601-3219

Username: Calvin Perry
    Office: Chicago Area Veterans Forum
    Email: calvin.perry@sbcglobal.net
    Phone: 708-372-8172

Office Address
    Chicago Area Veterans Forum
    24160 Kings Road
    Crete, Illinois

Username: Julie Rudison
    Office: Chicago Area Veterans Forum
    Email: c4jar84@yahoo.com
    Phone: 815-342-7925

Office Address
    Chicago Area Veterans Forum
    24160 Kings Road
    Crete, Illinois 60417

https://www.woundedwarriorproject.or...nefits-service
    To get help with your VA or DoD benefits claim, reach out to our Resource Center.
    Call the Resource Center at
    888.WWP.ALUM (997.2586)
    or 904.405.1213

HOURS OF OPERATION
    Monday - Friday 9 am - 9 pm EST
    2016 Nitro Z21

Thanks guys. I am optimistic that I'm clear ... but will be looking over my shoulder. I have left VM for a local VSO. I have seen reviews by other veterans that VA Claim Pros have resurfaced claiming that their involvement was responsible for increased awards and looking for fees after the vet thought he/she was clear. There are good reviews but you never know if they were planted. I have formed an opinion that there should be tighter regulation for these fringe shops that draw clean lines for the protection of benefits.

Ranger R93 / Merc 200

Good deal. If you want to bounce anything off of me, feel free to PM (I'm HIPAA and PII certified). Or if you just want to back-check what you're being told feel free to reach out as well.
    2016 Nitro Z21

I have left 2 VM's with the Illinois Dept of Veteran's Affairs. Nothing back yet - but it has only been 3 days. I tried my local office but it is unmanned and the phone goes to IDVA where there is a recording. Don't you all believe that Congress should regulate the predator, uncertified companies that write those "sticky" agreements that you can't get free of... and then they go after awards like bandits. For example: If you require written notice/certified mail - you must provide an address. I'm going to give this idea some thought - feel free to pitch in.

Ranger R93 / Merc 200

If you're not getting a call backs from them that could be an indicator. I would reach out to some of the other VSOs that were mentioned, i.e. your county folks, the VFW, DAV, WWP, etc.

As for your suggestion regarding regulation, I suspect it will be very hard to get anything passed. It's along the same lines as Payday Lenders, SSDI Law Firms, etc., in that no one is forcing you to use their services.
    2016 Nitro Z21

No return call yet from the IL Veteran VSO network. I think you're right - I'll try another resource... I did write to my Congressman who seems too focused on beginning hearings on the Capitol riot. I suggested that he should allow the FBI to do their job and focus on homeless veterans, the economy, the pandemic, and infrastructure. Haven't heard back from him either.
    Guess I'm not doing well in the help seeking dept. Thanks to you and others here for the support.

Ranger R93 / Merc 200

19. Member
    My local Vet Rep handled all my paperwork and gave me a call when I was approved.

I am a Vietnam vet, I strongly urge that anyone filing claims, that has documented proof of origin and diagnosis utilize a VSO. Get your health records from the VA and records from your private doctors, dig through them find anything supporting your claim. Be prepared, don't expect someone do it for you.
    The power of positive thoughts

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast