Correct location/method to install 2* transom wedges for better bow lift

On a Triton 21hp. Bow seems glued to the water, first Triton I've owned with little bow lift.

I had a shop put some on opposite of what I told them, asking them to put big end down and they put big end up.

Holeshot is great but top speed went from 73.5 to 68 so I'm going to ask them to redo it and also they are installed against the transom vs between jackplate and engine, is this correct? Thanks!

2. Member
    Should be fine
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

What prop are you running? I know several guys with that boat and none of them have needed wedges. Have you checked the hull to see if it's got a hook in it?

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

4. Member
    It does have some hook in it, bravo 28 right now worked by croxton
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

5. Member
    I can run a 30 bravo also, croxton puts quite a bit of cup in them.
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Per SB 2013-15R1, wedges and spacers should not be used (both sides of the transom or engine mounting surface bust be parallel to the engine transom clamps, and no other devices should be held in place by the engine fasteners).

Yes... it's been done a lot by a lot of people. It is, however, a real safety concern.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Don, why you gotta go and kill my fun??? Hahaha. Interesting enough it seems several folks with the 21hp models have had similar issues with little bow rise and many said the wedges were suggested by Triton.

Since the wedges were installed I've only run a Croxton worked 24p fury 4 and stock 25p fury 4. On neither did I get an rpm look as my makeshift seat made it impossible to stay put in the chop past 66mph.

Seats were sent out over 3 months ago and still not back yet. You know, covid and all...

8. Member
    very real safety cocerns have seen 3 come off from this improper mounting aplication, if it wont lift with a 25 FURY 3 blade on it loaded correctly somethings wrong, ever weighed an ULTREX or a GHOST
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

9. Member
    Most tritons don’t require max trim like say a ranger but have you checked to see how worn in your striker plates are? Upside down wedges are certainly hurting you in addition to the safety concerns mentioned