Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Who misses working in the office?

I am positive that the VAST majority will say NOT ME. I've been working in the office through almost the entire COVID mess by choice but I have an easy 10 minute drive. I would not feel that way if I still had an hour plus commute.

Regardless, there are some aspects I miss about having people in the office. I relocated to a different office so this isn't solely due to COVID (happened about the same time) but I used to stop by to visit my youngest engineer and ask questions about what he was working on. I'd ask probing questions and ask "have you considered X", or offer ideas to consider. He says that he misses this interaction too and I believe he is sincere. We do this online but it just isn't quite the same. I would hate to start off a new employee with no, or very little, face time.

I too miss the face to face interaction with others, especially those I call the "village elders"; folks that have been there 20, 30, or even 40 years. A simple example of how that interaction has helped me is a story one told me of a "3/4 million $ mistake" that would never have been discussed if not sitting in his office. I am sure of this. A couple years ago I was able to avoid the same mistake only because I recalled that "peripheral" discussion and was able to see it happening again.

I can see some immediate cost savings for both employee and employer by working from home but I worry about the long term effect of the lack of direct interaction, especially for new employees.

Do you agree or disagree? Why?

2. Banned
    Everyone needs to get back and go back to work! Time to get back to "normal"!

3. Member
    There are a few things I miss about the office but largely I would prefer to continue working from home as long as possible. The vehicle wear/tear and gas savings in the past 15 months is nice.
    1995 Ranger 487VS / 1998 Mercury 200 EFI

4. Member
    We are slated to go back July 6th if we want to. I will admit it's nice getting up in the morning walking into the office. There are pros and cons to WFH.

At this point I'd like to get back for a few days a week. What it has proved is there is no reason for a five day grind in the office. I like the interaction but I'm in Sales so that is natural.

5. Member
    Not one bit. I dread going back in. My desk at home functions he same way my desk in the office does, without the commute. We're doing a very slow phase-in. I probably won't be back in the office for another few months at least.

6. Ya, I Live on Rainy Lake! basscla's Avatar
    Started working from home in 2013. Love it

I am retired so my vote does not count.

I agree with OP. I feel there is a lack of Professionalism when working from home.
    To the same point as the Casual Business Attire is for the birds. Bring back the Shirt and Tie for the Men and a Classy Dress or Pant Suit for the women. (This is directed at the office workers.)

It has been proven that your work ethic is reflected on how you dress. No one will convince me, that working in you PJs, you do the same quality of work as dressed properly.
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

8. Member
    I've had go into work everyday since the pandemic began. Those who have been able to work from home have no idea how lucky they have been.

9. Official BBC Highjacker bassboogieman's Avatar
    I'm retired so no impact on me, BUT my wife has been working from home the last 13 months and I sure wish she would return to her office.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechanic Bob View Post

I agree with OP. I feel there is a lack of Professionalism when working from home.
    To the same point as the Casual Business Attire is for the birds. Bring back the Shirt and Tie for the Men and a Classy Dress or Pant Suit for the women. (This is directed at the office workers.)

It has been proven that your work ethic is reflected on how you dress. No one will convince me, that working in you PJs, you do the same quality of work as dressed properly.
    Where has that been proven? You think no one in tech works hard?

I saw my CEO in a suit one time and we both laughed at how ridiculous he looked.

Quote Originally Posted by Grahamb View Post
    Where has that been proven? You think no one in tech works hard?

I saw my CEO in a suit one time and we both laughed at how ridiculous he looked.
    Thank you for making my point!

Did I say NO tech works hard? I am a retired Mechanical Engineer that has worked in various Manufacturing and Production Plants. I have done time studies and production studies and the numbers don't lie.
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

12. Member
    I rambled on too much. I worry most about new employees and developing a team remotely. It is no problem to work from home if you're experienced. Think of a kid straight out of school and the only interaction they get is talking on the phone. It seems that they will miss out on a lot.

13. Member
    I believe our productivity has been just as good the past year however there are aspects of leading a team that just are not sustainable. Such as the points above around culture and people development. People development and new hire training is a big one. We are transitioning to a hybrid model that allows flexibility to WFH however we will have team meetings 2-3 times per week in our newly remodeled collaboration space. Many suppliers in northwest AR are doing the same thing.

14. Member
    Thank you for making my point!

Did I say NO tech works hard? I am a retired Mechanical Engineer that has worked in various Manufacturing and Production Plants. I have done time studies and production studies and the numbers don't lie.
    There are also studies that show people are actually more productive, happier, and work more hours from home. I was a part of one such study done by my employer. You then have the ability to dump office space which is no longer needed. Cut down on parking expenses, maintenance costs, employee liability etc. On top of that there were fewer people calling off work due to being sick or whatever life typically throws at everyone.

The cost of all that was a fairly close second to the the overall cost of the employees salary.

15. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar
    I'm retired so I've got no dog in the fight. My step daughter is a Vice President of Commercial loans at a bank in Atlanta. She has been working from home since this covid thing started a year ago last March. She says she isn't planning on going back to the office ever. I hope the higher ups in her bank will allow her to do that. She actually works more hours, working at home, than she did when she was in the office. Of course another plus she has by staying at home is there is no commute. She lives 17 miles from her office. On a good day, it takes here 90 minutes to get to work and the same coming home at 5pm!!
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    2015 BassCat Caracal/225ProXs
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE
    Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice.

16. Member

Well this is wrong in my case. I was just promoted. I also don’t plan on going back in. You either have work ethic or you don’t. Dress has zero impact. We are close to a billion dollar company and our dress code in the office is shorts, shirt, hat and flip flops (unless we are meeting with a customer).

Quote Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
    I'm retired so no impact on me, BUT my wife has been working from home the last 13 months and I sure wish she would return to her office.
    I haven’t worked in an office since ‘95, I’m in the field full time. I had some work from home time when Covid first hit and the again early this year when I got it.

My wife has worked from home for several years. After being around the house with her during those times has convinced me I’m not going to retire until I can’t work anymore. The woman can’t sit still and it makes her nuts to watch me sit still.

18. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by badbaggerHD View Post
    Well this is wrong in my case. I was just promoted. I also don’t plan on going back in. You either have work ethic or you don’t. Dress has zero impact. We are close to a billion dollar company and our dress code in the office is shorts, shirt, hat and flip flops (unless we are meeting with a customer).
    I have worked remotely for the last 5 years I'm a database administrator in the financial sector with my hands in other small business ventures. The comment on dress has been disproven time and time again. Dress does not reflect work ethic it effects how others see you that is all. As far productivity the new company m at allowed no work from home except IT when you where in call. The switched to working from home for everyone and saw production increase. As for developing a team use the tools you have between Microsoft teams with video conferencing the same interaction can be had as in the office. To me it sounds more like a bunch of relics trying to hold onto their out dated ways and beliefs and not wanting to update their skills to work in the changing business world.

19. Banned
    I say companies should do what's best for them.

That said I do know a couple people working from home. They said the number of people drinking is pretty crazy. He said its seen as a joke and memes have been made about it.

20. Member
    You know who misses the office ? NOBODY that is "working from home", drawing a paycheck and not doing anything !

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast